Need Help Setting up First Stoker(Supermag) Manometer,Etc

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 7:42 am

I have burnt hand fired coal stoves since the early 1980s. and now want the pleasure of a stoker. I bought a SuperMag as I liked my Harman MarkIII.
I need links/help for the right Barometer installation and type. Also using and or installing a manometer for proper pressure readings.
I've searched and have read lot's of info and will continue too but maybe this will help cut thru all the stuff I don't need to know for my setup.
It will be in the basement where I work. The front hot air ports will be blocked so all hot air is piped up via duct work (already there from MarkIII) to the upstairs living area. The exhaust pipe goes thru the wall to an outside chimney that runs up to above the peak. This chimney has worked great for 8 years with my MarkIII. I probably have 3 ft or so above the stove top to where the flue has to go thru the outer wall behind the stove.
I don't have it hooked up now but will start on buying the materials I need after input from you guys.

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 7:47 am

Welcome to the world of girly stoves as they say. I have done both hand and stoker. Although hand fired is fun, my life style won't allow me to tend them as they need to be. A stoker fits my lifestyle. You will find that the stoker is a LOT less tending. Dump in the coal, take out the ashes. That's about it. If your chimney burned good with the hand fired it will be just fine for the stoker. Hook the puppy up and burn baby burn.

I am sure that more with your type of stove will kick in here before long. Be patient.

Rev. Larry

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 7:50 am

blrman07 wrote:Welcome to the world of girly stoves as they say. I have done both hand and stoker. Although hand fired is fun, my life style won't allow me to tend them as they need to be. A stoker fits my lifestyle. You will find that the stoker is a LOT less tending. Dump in the coal, take out the ashes. That's about it. If your chimney burned good with the hand fired it will be just fine for the stoker. Hook the puppy up and burn baby burn.

I am sure that more with your type of stove will kick in here before long. Be patient.

Rev. Larry
I like your summary of the stove and it's offerings..:) Girly Stove...funny. I know the forum is slow this time of year but this will get the ball rolling as time does fly by..

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 8:15 am

Being a coal stove mistress becomes a lot less compelling as you get older and lazier. I have both and the girly stoves do the heavy lifting but I love to play with the hand feds. It's like growing your own veggies in your garden, tried it but in the end I got bored and exhausted and Shoprite won.

A coal stove must put out serious distributed heat and in the dead of inter must last at least 12 hours. To me that defines a girly stove and as long as the shoveling is not an hourly event I will tolerate it up to a point. In the dead of winter I need to generate 200,000btu so I need a hopper, auger or perhaps a magazine if the stove is big enough. Winter is for surviving and non essential activities are for the birds. To me it's only for small houses or for those with big biceps.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 10:58 am

Because a stoker, having a combustion blower, will have a tendency to generate more fly ash, I would put the barometric damper into a tee where the elbow normally would go above the stove. This would give you a straight shot into the chimney to easily inspect or to clean. You could also consider a tee coming out of the stove and a cap on the lower portion.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 4:00 pm

Thanks guys... My flue outlet at the stove is on top. So a T there would help clean it ? I would have to work a Vac hose 90 deg bend to get it into the stove right?

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 4:13 pm

Here is a pic of the baro in a 'T' for easy, in season, never shut down vac out of the fly ash.......however if you vac too long the CO coming through the exhaust of the shop vac will set off the CO alarm!! My manometer fitting is about halfway between the drop to the stove and the baro 'T' on the back side of the flue pipe.
IMG_6152.JPG
.JPG | 100.6KB | IMG_6152.JPG

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jun. 20, 2013 5:25 pm

titleist1 wrote:Here is a pic of the baro in a 'T' for easy, in season, never shut down vac out of the fly ash.......however if you vac too long the CO coming through the exhaust of the shop vac will set off the CO alarm!! My manometer fitting is about halfway between the drop to the stove and the baro 'T' on the back side of the flue pipe.
IMG_6152.JPG
Got it thanks...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”