Stoker Noise?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 12:57 pm

Just was down the basement and all of sudden I am hearing a very loud whining noise from the 40K Stoker mechanism? Maybe it just needs cleaned and lube a bit, it is quite loud. Will report once I remove and clean/lube.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 9:05 pm

Sounds like a bearing in the gear box or the stoker motor.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 12:19 am

Mine acts up once and awhile. I had to clean my combustion fan out today was full of dust and was getting to be unbalanced and noisy. I'm going to find some sort of filter for it to keep the dust out. Good luck hopefully its a easy fix..

ken

Post by ken » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 1:26 pm

mines been making a 2 or 3 second , like whisling sound. happens like every 5 minutes or so. seams to be coming from the stoker motor? so what was the problem WNY ?

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 11:04 am

I unbolted the stoker motor/gearbox, 2 bolts, easy. Unplugged it.

Took it to the bench, removed the top bearing, free spinning, removed the stator (carefully), cleaned, wiped down.
Checked all the bearings, gave them a shot of motor oil, nothing seized or really that dirty.

Took the cover off the gearbox (Very Carefully), there are 8-10 gears in there, some were a little dry, just wiped the grease from the cover and ontop of the gears in/around the gears carefully, moved them around to make sure everythign was lubed good.

Put it all back together, plugged in and seemed to be much quieter...!! So far, so good, re-attached to the stove and still quiet!

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 11:34 am

Dave, how did you get the gearbox apart? It appears that on my Keystoker, the gearbox is permanently staked together and to try and dismantle it would be a gearbox-ending affair. Mine is a little noisy under load when it pushes, but otherwise it's silent. I suppose I should just leave it alone. I do notice the output shaft where the cam mounts has quite a bit of slop in the bearing, but it's not affecting performance at this point. That's a good thing, because my motor replacement budget for this stove is shot for the year.....

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Mine was on the hyfire, it just had screws holding the case together....

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 6:17 pm

i had the gearbox go bad on my alaska stove last winter.......one little plastic piece stripped out.....it was fairly noisy just before it quit......i called alaska and they didnt want to sell me a motor, they gave me the number for a service tech that never called back......so alaska is done in my book.....i was on my own.....did'nt meet you guys yet, so I went to reading stove company and bought one of their stoker motors right from the factory, and got a tour while I was there....the reading stove motor fit with minor mods, I hope it lasts many years......they were very helpfull at the reading stove company, even tho I was buying parts for someone elses product......if I ever buy a new triburner, I will buy a reading stove.

WNY

Post by WNY » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 6:22 pm

I did notice all the gears are metal and the grease just needed to be moved around into the gears themselves.
I just emailed/ordered a spare from Jerry @ Leisure Line to have on hand. Great customer service!! that's the third thing I have ordered and had it within a couple of days. :)

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 6:26 pm

cool! good thing they got great customer service......friend of mine is interested in a leisure line stoker if he can find a coal dealer in south jersey

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 8:37 am

Got the spare gearbox/motor from Jerry @ LL, Wow! that was fast service! :)

Weird thing, The fire look like it was going out last night on the smaller 40K Burner, I checked it, it must have had something blocking the plate, it was kinda making a clinking/grinding noise and then the Stoker lever came unscrewed off the shaft and stopped pushing the coal, ripped it apart moved the stoker plate back and forth and it seemed to fix it. The combustion blower wasn't turning full speed either, shot it with some WD40 and it took off! I think it was getting some fines in the motor from the stoker mechansism....will have to take off and clean/lube it. :idea:

This morning it was glowing nicely!! :) Phew. At least the weather is warm and doens't matter if one side goes out temporary. It mostly idling anyway.

gambler

Post by gambler » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 11:05 am

WNY wrote: Stoker lever came unscrewed off the shaft and stopped pushing the coal,
How did it come unscrewed? The motor spins counter clockwise and would only tighten the stoker lever.
That is strange! Maybe someone has replaced this motor before with one that turns the wrong way.

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 12:07 pm

I think mine spins clockwise, that must be a safety feature if it does get stuck, it will pop off (unscrew) without tearing up the motor/gearbox. I had it apart previously, so I may not have screwed it down tight enough? Who knows, it working.!! :)

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 12:08 pm

mine spins CCW

WNY

Post by WNY » Mon. Jan. 07, 2008 12:48 pm

now you got me wondering... will have to check tonight..

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”