Best Fit, Go BIG or Just Right?

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 7:18 pm

Let me preface this with, I heat this space with a Modine 35K BTU Propane ceiling hung Heater.
I have a Machine shop in a garage (15yrs), it's a Carriage Shed design, 36ft long x 24 deep with a 16ft high peak. Actual shop usage is the left side, (1) Bay and 1/2 which comes out to 20' x 24' of shop floor space, the right side is storage and (1)car space.

In your professional opinions, would it be better to locate a stoker in the "car" side with a Pioneer/Channing sized stove and set in a venting system or a LL Econoline stoker in the shop itself? It does get a messy with chips and such.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 10:18 pm

I've made too many purchases in the past where for a few bucks more I could have gotten the bigger and better model for may things and usually regret not getting it after a while. So I guess to answer your question is how much more is it going to cost you and if you ever think there might be even a slight chance you'll need it get the bigger unit. However even if you have smaller unit we are not talking living space here so I'm sure a few days of it being a little less than desirable isn't all that bad either.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 6:15 am

reading stove company makes a utility stove for shops....it's up to 90,000 BTU I believe.......i was considering buying their twin triburner utiluty stove, but I was given this efm af150 while I was saving my money.......you can probably duct the air wherever you need it

sauerzbr

Post by sauerzbr » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 6:48 am

I just bought a unit 2 weeks ago and could have went with a smaller unit, but went the extra couple bucks to assure it will easily do the job I want it to and if I should ever need to heat more space, I've got the proper unit to do so. You can always run a bigger unit for a smaller space, but nothing you can do with a smaller unit if you wanted to heat a bigger space.

Good luck!

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 7:34 pm

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll go BIG, prolly go with a LL this time with the Coal-trol, a few hundred more up front will most likely be paid for by ease of heating. I've a retired sheet metal guy up the road a piece, he does work for me now and again, I'm sure we can design a nice ducting system to move the warm air where I need it.
I'm going to ride out this season and go shopping in the springtime for a new unit.

Forgot to ask, the top of the garage is 16ft, how tall should my Pipe be? Better yet, what height will give me the best draft?

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 8:06 pm

20' from the outlet on your unit is a good minimum height. That should be well over your peak anyway.

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 11:51 pm

coaledsweat wrote:20' from the outlet on your unit is a good minimum height. That should be well over your peak anyway.
Sweet, thanks.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”