LL Pocono Blower Fans?? Run on High All the Time?

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 4:54 pm

greg beat me to the punch curse my slow fingers.

mozz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 1982 AA-130 Steam

Post by mozz » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 4:57 pm

I will jump in here also and say only but good things about the LL and CT people. Being a LL and CT owner, and first time coal burner myself, you have to put yourself in our shoes. When I first read the thread, I thought it was working exactly or very similar like mine. Once it is explained and you watch it work, you will understand why it does what it does. I have no complaints whatsoever with the current "firmware" so to speak. Yes, there will be many people who want every single adjustment to be at their disposal, but believe me, there was much put into the current settings. Everyone here has a different setup. I bet I run mine backwards from every other LL owner as I have it set up to 75 at night and 71 during the day. That works best for my house. No stove and thermostat is perfect,(except hand fed maybe), otherwise mine would ramp the fans down when I had company or wanted to watch a quiet movie. Being that it keeps my house at the setpoint, and it does it very well,it's worth it's weight in gold.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 7:13 pm

mozz wrote:I will jump in here also and say only but good things about the LL and CT people. Being a LL and CT owner, and first time coal burner myself, you have to put yourself in our shoes. When I first read the thread, I thought it was working exactly or very similar like mine. Once it is explained and you watch it work, you will understand why it does what it does. I have no complaints whatsoever with the current "firmware" so to speak. Yes, there will be many people who want every single adjustment to be at their disposal, but believe me, there was much put into the current settings. Everyone here has a different setup. I bet I run mine backwards from every other LL owner as I have it set up to 75 at night and 71 during the day. That works best for my house. No stove and thermostat is perfect,(except hand fed maybe), otherwise mine would ramp the fans down when I had company or wanted to watch a quiet movie. Being that it keeps my house at the setpoint, and it does it very well,it's worth it's weight in gold.
I'll agree that Jerry and LL will go well beyond what most companies will do when it comes to keeping the customer happy.

Just a thought...you could add a rheostat inline on the convection fan(s) to set the high limit at the stove to whatever you were comfortable with as far as noise.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Minor correction. :) Putting a rheostat inline between our convection output and the fans is not supported. The rheostat's electronics will interfere with the speed control of the Coal-trol Digital.

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sat. Dec. 29, 2007 9:24 pm

pvolcko wrote:Minor correction. :) Putting a rheostat inline between our convection output and the fans is not supported. The rheostat's electronics will interfere with the speed control of the Coal-trol Digital.
Can you elaborate? There isn't really any signal being sent back to the coal-trol from the motor that I can think of so other than simply limiting the highest speed, what issues might this cause? I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that you're adjusting the motor speed from the coal-trol in a similar fashion to the rheostat?

Thanks..looking forward to the education!

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 11:36 am

Unfortunately I don't know the reasons behind this restriction. I too once suggested to a customer that an inline rheostat could be used for a max speed restrictor. I was told by Neil that this was not supported and I didn't press for any elaboration at the time. My guess is that the rheostat screws with the current and/or voltage phase of the circuit, which can lead to our speed control circuit getting held open to full speed. This is the same reason why we do not support fans of different types/sizes/ratings on a single output, only matched fans.

flatfoot121

Post by flatfoot121 » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 1:46 pm

I don't own a LL yet! However I have had contact with Matt from the manufacturer and find him to be very knowledgeable and very helpful in understanding the concepts and workings of the lL boiler that I am interested in. I should be purchasing within the next couple of weeks. keep up the good work LL I have looked at your product and find it exceptually made.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Oct. 23, 2012 3:44 pm

flatfoot, don't be pattin these guys on the ass to much, they'll get spoiled--AND--YES, they do make an outstanding product & back it up. ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”