Condensation and Sulfur Smell Inside Hopper

xackley

Post by xackley » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 11:18 am

On the leisure line Pocono all you have to do is remove the ashpan. I have vacuumed mine a couple of times. If I happen to be removing the ashes and the stove is at Idle, I just stick the shop vac extension into the pipe and rattle it around some. Then I vacuum the ashbin area just because it is there.

I sure do wonder if the OP's problem is resolved, and where the problem was.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 11:58 am

xackley wrote:On the leisure line Pocono all you have to do is remove the ashpan.
Depends but in most situations that is not going to be sufficient. This will accumulate on any horizontal plane, if you have any amount of pipe parallel to the ground it will build up in that area.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 12:08 pm

Richard S. wrote:This will accumulate on any horizontal plane, if you have any amount of pipe perpendicular to the ground it will build up in that area.
Not to be picky, but I think you meant parallel to the ground? I have an elbow coming out of the stove and an elbow directly connected to the thimble. The first elbow does not get much ash I guess there is not enough horizontal there. The second elbow and the horizontal run through the thimble is where most of the ash builds up. I never in the 15 years thought about installing a T at the second elbow to make clean out easier :oops: !! Its a good idea that I'll implement.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 12:16 pm

titleist1 wrote:
Richard S. wrote:This will accumulate on any horizontal plane, if you have any amount of pipe perpendicular to the ground it will build up in that area.
Not to be picky, but I think you meant parallel to the ground?
I did say parallel, you need some reading glasses. :P

Thanks for pointing that out.

xackley

Post by xackley » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Ah the only other horizontal I have is a couple of feet, where I have an RC barometric damper, just before entering the chimney. The damper makes for easy visual inspection there.
My post on cleaning out via the ash bin area was in reference to the post about having a Tee to facilitate clean out at the stove. I was just providing an option that is available with the back vent LL stoves like the Hyfire and Pocono for easy inspection/maintenance during the heating season.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 12:45 pm

WOW!! This is like talking to my wife, I swear I remember her saying one thing only to find out I have it bassackwards!!! :?

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 1:48 pm

xackley wrote: My post on cleaning out via the ash bin area was in reference to the post about having a Tee to facilitate clean out at the stove. I was just providing an option that is available with the back vent LL stoves like the Hyfire and Pocono for easy inspection/maintenance during the heating season.
A lot of people have pipe parallel to the ground, some running considerable distances so you need to clean them out if that is the case. To say the "only thing you need to do if you own a LL" isn't correct because it would only apply to installations where there isn't any horizontal pipe.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 2:06 pm

forum |ˈfôrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Not to be used as a replacement or mistaken for FACTS

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 2:07 pm

coalstoves wrote:forum |ˈfôrəm|
noun ( pl. forums )
1 a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Not to be used as a replacement or mistaken for FACTS
you mean to tell me everything found on an internet forum isn't fact?

:P

xackley

Post by xackley » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 2:44 pm

e.alleg wrote:I would think that the ash will build up at the first elbow, like when the snowplow keeps pushing snow against the curb. Eventually, the gasses can't flow smoothly through the T and will back up on some installs. It's probably best to install a "T" at the first elbow so it's easy to clean out.
This is the post directly proceeding my post on cleaning the pipe at the stove, to which I replied:
xackley wrote:On the leisure line Pocono all you have to do is remove the ashpan. I have vacuumed mine a couple of times. If I happen to be removing the ashes and the stove is at Idle, I just stick the shop vac extension into the pipe and rattle it around some. Then I vacuum the ashbin area just because it is there.

I sure do wonder if the OP's problem is resolved, and where the problem was.
On page one of the this thread, I responded to a fellow LL stove owner that was having a problem
xackley wrote:Shut the stove off.

When it cools enough, dismantle the pipes. Inspect the chimney.

Do you have a CO detector with a digital read out for levels.

You should be very scared about keeping that stove lit until the you are sure the poisonous deadly gasses are going up the chimney.
Richard S. wrote: A lot of people have pipe parallel to the ground, some running considerable distances so you need to clean them out if that is the case. To say the "only thing you need to do if you own a LL" isn't correct because it would only apply to installations where there isn't any horizontal pipe.
Where did I say "only thing you need to do if you own a LL"

If there is a problem with my posting on your forum, I will refrain from posting in the future.

Thank you
Don

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 2:47 pm

xackley wrote:On the leisure line Pocono all you have to do is remove the ashpan...
I suspect that sentence is the one being referred to.

Richard S.
Mayor

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 3:32 pm

xackley, I wasn't aware that you were responding to a specific on the previous post. Might have dawned on me if it was split right on your post. Using quotes helps keep things in context.
If there is a problem with my posting on your forum, I will refrain from posting in the future.
No problem, just a misunderstanding. :D

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Thu. Dec. 27, 2007 5:45 pm

Richard S. wrote:xackley, I wasn't aware that you were responding to a specific on the previous post. Might have dawned on me if it was split right on your post. Using quotes helps keep things in context.
No problem, just a misunderstanding. :D
Xackley.. aka "Don", I don't think you'll find more hospitable group of Administrators or Posters on any Internet Forum than you'll find here. I can't for the life of me see why you'd be upset or feel you were being chastised, until we can figure out emoticons that fit every discriptive nuance of real speech then I guess we'll have misunderstandings like these from time to time.
We' ll find no other resource on the Net that deals with Coal like this place does. Enjoy it's many features and people....I promise you won't be dissapointed.
( Unless of course your name is Devil)....Kidding... I'M Just Kidding! :P

safblw

Post by safblw » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 12:21 am

thanks for all of the ranswers, after shuting the stove down and inspecting it I had found that the pipe on the bottom going to the dampner was pluged full of ash, I had cleaned it out and all of the pipe refired it and it looks to be working fine
no I know better to let it go.
thanks
shawn ;)

xackley

Post by xackley » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 12:28 am

shawn

When you say "damper" are you talking about a barometic damper or a manual damper that reduces the flow through the pipe.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”