Ash From Pipe

Qball
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Qball » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 7:42 am

During the high winds we've been having, I've been seeing ash coming out of the joints on my flue pipe. The stove is running fine, no build up of ash, pipe looks clean, draft is fine, and baro working correctly. Is this normal or something to worry aboout?

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 8:32 am

Huh.... uh, hmmm... lol Is the baro slamming shut when you see ash coming out of the joints?? Seems like that would imply that your chimney system is receiving a hard shock of positive pressure.. It could be a problem, especially if the down draft (if there is one) is sustained for any amount of time carbon monoxide could be forced into the living area.

Is your chimney higher than the roof peak? Its also possible that when an outside door is opened, its disturbing the pressure in the house causing a down draft in the chimney..

These are just a few of my primary suspicions..

Qball

Post by Qball » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 9:00 am

Chimmney is taller than the roof and drafts well. I have CO2 detercters on all levels of my house and never receive a reading (only when I start the snowblower of bike outside the basemet door!) It's not alot of ash and I keep stove clean. I need to hook up the Mag that's been sitting in the box for a couple of years and really check the draft. I am thinking that the Baro might by hitting hard enough to shake some ash out of the joints.

Wiz
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker Ka 6
Coal Size/Type: Casey Junk Coal :(

Post by Wiz » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 9:10 am

you could tape the joints to resolve it.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Feb. 18, 2013 10:17 am

Qball wrote:Chimmney is taller than the roof and drafts well. I have CO2 detercters on all levels of my house and never receive a reading (only when I start the snowblower of bike outside the basemet door!) It's not alot of ash and I keep stove clean. I need to hook up the Mag that's been sitting in the box for a couple of years and really check the draft. I am thinking that the Baro might by hitting hard enough to shake some ash out of the joints.
Other than those explanations, a puff back would also cause ash to get forced out of the joints :)

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 8:12 am

I get a little ash that falls out of the joints also with no corresponding draft problems. When you clean out this spring you will notice a layer of ash build up along the walls of your chimney. In my opinion, as it builds, some of that ash is just falling back down the chimney during the burning season. I especially get a little ash accumulating were my barometric damper's tee fits over the stoves outlet nipple.

Just keep stove pipes that aren't entirely vertical nice and clean, run a small 3" brush down both koker's internal exhaust tubes every once and a while and you should have no problems till the end of the season.

Qball

Post by Qball » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 9:10 am

Thanks! I do have a small brush and run it throuh the stove when I can shut it down. I'll just keep blowing the ash into the hoppa.

WNYRob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker Koker controlled with CoalTrol

Post by WNYRob » Tue. Feb. 19, 2013 4:32 pm

If you have your barometric damper tee sitting right on the exhaust thimble, you can pull the damper off and clean the exhaust tubes, through the tee, without shutting the stove down. I usually do it once a month during one of the times I am changing ash buckets. After vacuuming the bottom of the stove, I put the hose end at the bottom of one of the exhaust tubes, brush that side out (entering from the top, via the damper tee), then do the same on the other side.

I do have my combustion fan on a separate switch so I can shut the fan off while the stove is open, so I don't excessively force coal burning exhaust into the basement.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”