Difficulty Getting HARMAN MAGNUM STOKER COAL STOVE to Run...

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 4:50 am

Qtown1835 wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 6:45 pm
Holy resurrection. This thread is 5years old. Lol
Goes to show the ruggedness of Magnum Stokers... no one has had an issue in 4 yrs. using the Mag and the Super Mag... 4 yrs of trouble free heat.. :) ..and this new guy with one post is on a learning curve only..:)

zags5274
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman super magnum stoker

Post by zags5274 » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 6:02 am

Captercaper is spot on, the feed rate should be close to 2. Mine is just little less than 2. Again I want to thank everybody that responded to the post when I started it. I can't believe I have own the stove for already five years. What a great investment.

gregjo1948
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Super Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: Oil furnace forced hot air (back-up)

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 6:59 am

I've set it on stove temp mode with the feed rate set less than 1 and it is pushing burning coal right to the edge.

CAPRCAPER-- The air to the fire is affected by changing the opening at the combustion fan. The more it's opened, the more air it can push to the fire.
That helps burn the coal before it gets pushed into the ash pan. I'm having trouble adjusting feed/air rates when it's in the "room temp" mode. Seems fine at 20 and higher degrees but, when it drops to sub zero, it starts pushing burning and unburnt coal into the pan.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 7:16 am

gregjo1948 wrote:
Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 6:59 am
I've set it on stove temp mode with the feed rate set less than 1 and it is pushing burning coal right to the edge.

CAPRCAPER-- The air to the fire is affected by changing the opening at the combustion fan. The more it's opened, the more air it can push to the fire.
That helps burn the coal before it gets pushed into the ash pan. I'm having trouble adjusting feed/air rates when it's in the "room temp" mode. Seems fine at 20 and higher degrees but, when it drops to sub zero, it starts pushing burning and unburnt coal into the pan.
Coal has slate in it or rock that doesn't burn. You may be thinking it's unburnt Coal.
With that said. My combustion fan opening is about 1/2 way open.. I use the room temp as the probe is upstairs in my living room. Stove is in basement with hot air ducting to the grate in the living area. I added an extension on the wiring to the probe and it works fine.
The stove should settle down after a while. Maybe your not giving it a chance or long enough to settle down. Set the feed rate to about 2 and you hot air fan knob on the control panel (not combustion fan) to about the 1/3 open mark. Give it time to settle down it takes a long time.. then leave it alone. We leave ours set so it keeps out living area about 71 deg and then don't touch it at all. 24/7 ... not worth the little Coal savings to keep cooling the home down and heating back up.
When the stove get's going at it's fullest in the worst conditions it gets hairy with hot coals near the edge.. but shouldn't be pushing hot ones over..

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Jan. 26, 2018 2:35 am

Love the way people on so many forums don't update on how they made out with the issue they had... so either they sold it.. or things are going great I guess.

zags5274

Post by zags5274 » Sat. Dec. 22, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm just checking in to see how everybody is making out with their stove so far this year. Right now it is 20 degrees outside. I have the feed rate set at 1 1/2 and the temp dial just below 2. The temperature in the house is a nice 70 degrees. I hope everyone is staying warm.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Dec. 23, 2018 5:59 am

I have the super mag and it's been on since Oct 1st.. we've had temps over thanksgiving down below zero.. were now at 18 deg f.. I'm always warm with this mag. We keep the temp set and steady 24/7 ..not worth to shut down and raise again. Were in and out with varying schedules so that works the best.

zags5274

Post by zags5274 » Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 7:20 pm

How is everyone making out with their coal stove so far this year. I am just curious of the feed rate everyone is using?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Nov. 26, 2023 6:23 am

zags5274 wrote:
Sat. Nov. 25, 2023 7:20 pm
How is everyone making out with their coal stove so far this year. I am just curious of the feed rate everyone is using?
I have it heating with the probe on my first floor. Super Mag is in the basement. It seems to do what it wants as far as settings. I have always set the feed at 2 use to do 3. Haven't seen any difference as temps go up and down here often. But I notice these last two seasons the coal will cake up and not drop off grate but will jam against the front door creating a backup which is bad if not caught so I may fool with the feed rate again or the air flow.

zags5274

Post by zags5274 » Mon. Nov. 27, 2023 7:41 pm

Good to hear captcaper! I have mine set at 2 1/4. Do you find that the higher the feed rate the coal will cake up or lower the feed rate?

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 27, 2023 9:27 pm

zags5274 wrote:
Mon. Nov. 27, 2023 7:41 pm
Good to hear captcaper! I have mine set at 2 1/4. Do you find that the higher the feed rate the coal will cake up or lower the feed rate?
I don't know. I haven't fooled with it much. It's only when it's super cold out and the stove is running
hard it seems. Never had an issue over the years until a year ago maybe. What's changed? I put a new combustion blower in not to long ago. Too much air? some say that. Maybe I should try to cut some of that out first.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”