Harman Stoker Stuck

llama99
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum Stoker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by llama99 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 8:26 pm

I had to pull my feed unit apart today. Thank God it was a warm day. The place I get my coal was sold and the new owner gets Blaschak. I asked about having it oiled, but they don't oil anymore. So, it arrived early Dec wet. It is still wet. Well when it looked like the fines had formed a paste that stuck to the top and bottom of the push block and dried hard. It must have built up slowly until it got thick enough to jam. I have lots of rust from the wet coal. I am in New Tripoli Pa - anyone know where I can get oiled coal? I got 4 tons and so still have pretty much - less than I expected. I seem to go through a lot. But I might need another 2 tons...
Dave

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Damp coal is fine in the Harman stoker but you cannot use wet coal. If you have somewhere dry to do it, dump coal out on a basement floor and let it dry for a day or so. Otherwise buy dry coal.

llama99

Post by llama99 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I have nowhere to spread out four tons of coal to dry - never had coal delivered dry. Hoped to find oiled, but didn't find anyone local that delivers oiled.

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Do you have buckets you could fill with the coal? The top half will dry out enough after a few days, the bottom will stay wet. If the bottom is more than damp, then just pour the top half of the buckets into the hopper then let the bottom dry for a couple more days.

It's not that I planned on doing this to dry my coal, I get mine a pick up load at a time and then fill my buckets when I get home and keep them in the basement. I just happen to notice the coal in the top half is dry when pouring it in the hopper.

llama99

Post by llama99 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for the suggestion titleist1. I get my coal delivered. I got 4ton and will probably need 2more. It is rice coal, so it seems to stay wet longer. The coal in my bin seems pretty dry. But when I pulled out of the hopper, the coal about 1/2 way down and walls of the hopper were wet - much wetter than what I was putting in. Seems strange now that I think about it a bit....

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2013 3:15 pm

If you were putting in dry coal and the sides were then damp later on, I believe you were getting exhaust into your hopper before you went through your clean out process. The moisture is the symptom of that. Probably the plate on the combustion fan was open too far, pushing more air into the firebox than could be exhausted out the breech so it looked for other paths out - the hopper. I have the flapper on my combustion fan only open about the width of my index finger. Depending on the coal size I happen to pick up that gets adjusted slightly, but I never get open more than 1/3.

My coal goes in the hopper damp quite often and the hopper sides will be damp if I move the coal around with the small coal shove soon after loadingl. But it dries out after a couple hours in the hopper from the heat of the stove.

llama99

Post by llama99 » Fri. Feb. 01, 2013 3:31 pm

That makes sense. I closed off the flapper quite a bit over what it had been before the jam. I had been thinking about oiled coal, but haven't found anyone that sells it near me - New Tripoli Pa.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Fri. Feb. 01, 2013 7:54 pm

llama99 wrote:I had to pull my feed unit apart today. Thank God it was a warm day. The place I get my coal was sold and the new owner gets Blaschak. I asked about having it oiled, but they don't oil anymore. So, it arrived early Dec wet. It is still wet. Well when it looked like the fines had formed a paste that stuck to the top and bottom of the push block and dried hard. It must have built up slowly until it got thick enough to jam. I have lots of rust from the wet coal. I am in New Tripoli Pa - anyone know where I can get oiled coal? I got 4 tons and so still have pretty much - less than I expected. I seem to go through a lot. But I might need another 2 tons...
Dave
If, as you said, your pusher block jammed, you may have spread the *Fork* open wider than it should be.
It should be 1-3/4" wide opening inside forks. It will be hard to get as much coal pushed while spread open wider. :idea:

llama99

Post by llama99 » Wed. Feb. 13, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks folks! I have her running like a champ now. Forks are good.

Dave

WissaMan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum (MK1) w/ PC control
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WissaMan » Fri. Feb. 15, 2013 3:10 pm

I get my coal delivered in a big pile and then bag it into 50lb bags that I saved from back when I used to buy it in bags.

When it is wet, what I do is...

if it's not terribly wet, I add it to the hopper while the hopper is still 1/2 to 1/3 full. Then I leave the hopper lid slightly ajar. The heat from the stove will dry the coal but with the lid cracked, you won't get the condensation inside the hopper. If you leave the lid totally off, you won't get as much heat build-up in the hopper so the coal won't dry as fast.

If it's really soggy (dripping) I bring the bag in in advance and set it on mat or piece of cardboard in front of the stove and open the top of the bag. The heat from the stove drys the coal pretty well right in the bag.

If your coal vendor sells bagged coal, they'd probably sell you a few bags or maybe even give you a few for free. Otherwise, if you could find some other kind of strong porous bags you'll be in good shape. I've tried to dry coal in non-porous containers (buckets, plastic totes) and that didn't work too well as the water tends to pool at the bottom and never evaporates. Though you could probably drill a few holes in them to help with that.

dgozz122
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman dvc 500
Other Heating: WEIL-McLAIN Gold oil

Post by dgozz122 » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 7:58 pm

Hello everyone, I recently bought a used Harman dvc 500. I started my stove today being that it will be a little chilly tonight and to make sure everything is in order with the cold weather right around the corner. Anyway, like I said I fired it up and everything seemed fine until I noticed it isn't pushing coal. It will start to move and when it hits the fork it stops and turns off. I am letting it cool down and then going to take it apart to check to see if the pusher block is seized up. I've never taken one of these stoves apart before other then my old easy fire stove, this one is night and day from that old thing! any suggestions? Thanks guys! 😊 not sure of I posted this in the right spot or should have started a new page lol kinds new to forums. I apologize if I am "hyjacking" your post.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 8:51 pm

http://static.legacystoves.com/user/DVC-500Manual.pdf

Link to Manual,for starters. In my opinion,Yes,it would've been a good idea to start a seperate thread to address Your Current Dilemma with Your New To You Stove....

Lets see who can chime in on Your Verti-Flow Stoker System for the DVC500. Since Legacy Stoves bought the former Harman Coal Stove Line,it seems they've chosen to no longer produce this model.

http://www.legacystoves.com/index.php?page=downloads-9

dgozz122

Post by dgozz122 » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:04 pm

Yeh again sorry not completely sure how forums work yet. I posted a question last year but that's the extent of my forum experience. But I just emptied my stove out, Doesn't seem like there is anything that would be stopping the block from moving. I'm assuming the motor is good being that it tried to run...

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:18 pm

dgozz122 wrote:
Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:04 pm
Doesn't seem like there is anything that would be stopping the block from moving. I'm assuming the motor is good being that it tried to run.
But is the block moving? Correct coel size?
Block stroke adjustment?

dgozz122

Post by dgozz122 » Wed. Oct. 25, 2017 9:28 pm

No block is not moving. Yes rice coal.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”