Various Coal Veins Vs. Burn Time

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 8:41 am

This is my third season with my Keystoker. The first two seasons I used UAE Harmony exclusively, but this past fall when I went up they were closed so I went to South Tamaqua and got my coal. Not only did it cost $25 more per ton, I think I'm going through it a lot quicker. Could this be so or am I imagining things. Berks county this winter does seem to be any colder than last year was. Any input would be appreciated.
Jim

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:00 am

Your not imanining anything,I've burn the both also.Two seperate deliveries of TSPC were different as night and day and both burnn differently.The UAE was consistent and burned very hot,50% less ash and no rock/shale and when burning hot UAE you also get clinkers

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:21 am

It is certainly possible this years coal doesn't have as much "kick", but without measuring the amount burned vs. the number of degree days...it is just a guessing game.

:idea: If this years coal fills the ash pan quicker, it may seem like you are burning more than you really are.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:42 am

I can tell you it's good to be on the other side of this example. I burned Superior and Summit for 9 years. This year UAE. Night and day difference. Half the ash. That's huge to me. I don't get too hung up on how much am I burning day to day. I know I'm saving in the neighborhood of $2,500.00 per season over oil and my house is warmer. I fill my indoor bin with 5 tons (actually 5 1/4 this year) and I need it to last until the weather breaks. I've got too many other things to worry about besides daily coal usage. The pisser is UAE is closing! :mad:

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:47 am

coalkirk wrote:The pisser is UAE is closing!
I'm sure they or someone else will be back producing again at the Mt. Carmel plant,I just hope it stays the same and not mixed with a lesser quality coal
Last edited by Dennis on Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:06 am

Don't forget that we had one of the warmest winters on record last year when comparing this year's consumption to last year's :idea:

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:09 am

I have more to worry about also. The only reason I brought this up is because my coal bin is completely sealed and the coal wasn't flowing out of the shoot like usual so I removed the top cover to look in and WOW. I've used 2/3's of my coal load already. Why is UAE closing? And if so who has the next best vein of coal between Reading and Mt. Carmel ?
Thanks
Jim

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:18 am

DiRenzo in Pottsville would be the closest for you.
They have very good coal right now if you want to stock
for next year.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 10:46 am

TAMNOZ wrote:I have more to worry about also. The only reason I brought this up is because my coal bin is completely sealed and the coal wasn't flowing out of the shoot like usual so I removed the top cover to look in and WOW. I've used 2/3's of my coal load already. Why is UAE closing? And if so who has the next best vein of coal between Reading and Mt. Carmel ?
Thanks
Jim
Jim - Didn't mean for "I've got more things to worry about" to sound snarky. But it sounded that way when I reread it. :oops:
Sorry. UAE is closing because they mine with a machine called a continuous miner and apparently the coal seam is getting too small or taking a weird direction or something. The bottom line is they expect to be closed within several months I believe.
I started several weeks early this year, early in October. Usually don't start until end of Oct. I've gone through at least half of my 5 1/4 tons in the bin. Just removed another board from the guilotine (sp). I have another 1000# in 5 gallon buckets just incase but it doesn't look like I'll need it unless we get another sustained arctic blast like last week. I wish I knew who has the next best coal but I guess we will find out. Superior and Summit burned fine....just a large amount of ash.

LDPosse

Post by LDPosse » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 12:00 pm

The low ash of the UAE is nice, however I can't say that I noticed any difference in heat output or coal consumption compared to Superior. One downside I've noticed with the UAE is that it will clinker if fired hot enough, I've pulled several big ones out of the stove in the wake of this arctic blast we just had. I didn't have to pull any clinkers out of the Superior ash last year. That's where I am planning to go for my coal once UAE is done.

That said, I hate to see a small outfit like UAE shut down, and the folks running it get put out of a job. Hopefully they can figure out a way to continue mining!

TAMNOZ

Post by TAMNOZ » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 7:08 am

No Problem Coalkirk, I understand. Some folks on this forum ask questions like they have nothing better to do with their time. Since UAE seems to be the best and South Tamaqua not as good if Blackshack is pretty much in a striaght line between them is it any better? Ash isn't a problem as far as getting rid of for me so unless I'm missing something else about ash it doesn't matter.
Jim

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”