How Much Ash Does Yours Produce Per Day?

Frytown
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130 to FHA
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Frytown » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 9:41 pm

South central PA near Harrisburg about 1/2 bushel/day Axeman 130

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I used to be concerned about ash. I now just pay more attention to how much coal goes in. Here on the forum I have learned there is more to it than ash. Some ash has volume such as white ash, where red ash seems a little more dense. In the "Old Days" 30 years ago the only opinion I had was my own :shock: Here we can now learn soo much more. I would think 10 percent would be on the average for a conservative estimate.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Forgot about that. I think my provider gets me a mixture. Ill have to pay more attention. This year it's running so much more efficient since I calibrated the Anthrastat. Over all I don't see much unburnt coal. I adjusted the timer to bout 90 sec every hour just yesterday. To keep my fire from going out I did have it set for 90 sec every 30 mins. Better safe than sorry when warmer temps were around.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Jan. 21, 2013 10:20 pm

Enjoy what you have accomplished :D

clee

Post by clee » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 11:20 am

I have another ash question - we have a keystoker and the past couple of days the ash has bee turning into a solid block and not falling into the ash bucket. This is making the fire back up and making it burn further back and coal is dumping over the sides - any ideas for adjustments or what is causing this?

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 11:33 am

I've never really paid much attention to the ash, unless it was close to overflowing out of my Mark III's pan. That only happened burning Kimmel's. With Blaschak, the pan is half full with twice the burn time. Never cared enough to measure it. Being asthmatic, the less I screw with the ash, the better. ;)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 11:44 am

clee wrote:I have another ash question - we have a keystoker and the past couple of days the ash has bee turning into a solid block and not falling into the ash bucket. This is making the fire back up and making it burn further back and coal is dumping over the sides - any ideas for adjustments or what is causing this?
It sounds like your burning hotter with the cold snap we are getting,and making clinkers that are blocking the ash to fall off the grate.I'm not fimillar with your stoker but someone will help.You may only need to adjust the air intake? And welcome back

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 11:48 am

clee wrote:I have another ash question - we have a keystoker and the past couple of days the ash has bee turning into a solid block and not falling into the ash bucket. This is making the fire back up and making it burn further back and coal is dumping over the sides - any ideas for adjustments or what is causing this?
If you have more than a couple inches of ash at the bottom of the grate, I would reduce the combustion air. You are probably running the stove hard in this cold weather, and the fire is getting hot enough to make the ashes "fuse" together. If reducing the air doesn't help, try mixing some buck size coal in with the rice.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 11:52 am

I guess I'm making enough ash that when my pan gets full/level,once a day, I empty it--I do know that I heat this place with 3--3 1/2 ton per season & I'm a happy old farmer ;)

clee

Post by clee » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks - I turned the thermostat down 2 degrees to let it slow down a little so I can get it cleaned off - it's burning really hot and I think there's a lot of waste right now. Sorry to ask but they didn't give us much information or instruction when we bought this can anybody point to where the air is controlled? Do I slide the round plate closed that is under the coal bin? Is there a good book to get about running the stoker?

Stove place called back and had me turn back the feed a little and open a vent to help cool the grate down more - I hope this isn't adding too much air.
Last edited by clee on Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Townsend
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & Harman Mark I
Coal Size/Type: Pea / Nut

Post by Townsend » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 12:24 pm

Frytown, nice job on the boiler and the anthrastat! I produce probably twice what you do, but go figure, I have the 260. Plus it has been cold here.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 12:44 pm

clee wrote:Thanks - I turned the thermostat down 2 degrees to let it slow down a little so I can get it cleaned off - it's burning really hot and I think there's a lot of waste right now. Sorry to ask but they didn't give us much information or instruction when we bought this can anybody point to where the air is controlled? Do I slide the round plate closed that is under the coal bin? Is there a good book to get about running the stoker?
Don't know witch keystoker model you have, but heres the manuals from keystoker,just pick the one you need
http://www.keystoker.com/service-manuals.php

clee

Post by clee » Thu. Jan. 24, 2013 1:02 pm

thanks - I found those on their site

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 11:18 am

Ok what's the best pea coal in an axeman to burn red ash or white ash? 2nd year using coal and havnt made a decision yet.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 8:10 pm

I would think it don't much matter for the Axeman.

Clinkers get chewed up by the moving grate and any fine ash doesn't get past the cyclone.

I've used red ash for my two seasons and I like it. White ash...someone else will have to tell of it. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”