Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:00 pm

My Alaska stoker is home.
Now the project can begin.
Thanks, Mattaus! :)
ALASKA0001.JPG

Like a big model kit.

.JPG | 718.7KB | ALASKA0001.JPG
ALASKA0002.JPG

Too bad that nice new oil burner barely gets used!

.JPG | 719.4KB | ALASKA0002.JPG

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:46 pm

Looks like alot of work. Not for me.

cArNaGe

Post by cArNaGe » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:48 pm

YaY! Double Post
Last edited by cArNaGe on Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:49 pm

Just a few hours with the wire wheel and the rattle spray can of 1200*F paint and you won't recognize it. :)

This was a stove kit complete with new glass, gaskets and instructions. :lol: :lol:

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 10:00 pm

Fire up the compressor and sandblaster and get it done!!

I like a project, but that looks like a mess. I'm sure it'll be great when you're finished.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 11:06 pm

Actually, it's in very good condition, just needs a little pointin' up here and there.
I posted the photos because I took them right after I got everything into the cellar. I wanted a "before" photo on here, as opposed to the "after" photos later. Or maybe a few "in betweens".
What color(s) should it be?

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 11:22 pm

Wood'nCoal wrote:Actually, it's in very good condition, just needs a little pointin' up here and there.
I posted the photos because I took them right after I got everything into the cellar. I wanted a "before" photo on here, as opposed to the "after" photos later. Or maybe a few "in betweens".
I'd paint it Chevy Orange...heeheheh

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 8:52 am

av8r wrote:
Wood'nCoal wrote:Actually, it's in very good condition, just needs a little pointin' up here and there.
I'd paint it Chevy Orange...heeheheh
That was one of the colors I was considering, and I have the paint.

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 9:22 am

Yeah, you're lucky! Matthaus foisted off this project on me as a basket case w/no instructions or parts! :D
Dsc03110s.jpg
.JPG | 239.6KB | Dsc03110s.jpg
DSC03103.JPG
.JPG | 327.8KB | DSC03103.JPG
Best tool I found for the surfaces is a cheap angle grinder with wire cup wheel and also those 3M paint stripping pads you put in your drill that are like a real coarse abrasive Brillo pad. It's time consuming as he!!, but the results are worth it. Also, once most of the rust and paint is off, hit the stove with straight laquer thinner on a rag (wear nitrile gloves and LOTS of ventilation). The stove paint will melt right off and you'll be down to bare metal in no time. Using Stove-Brite charcoal color, you would not be able to tell my stove has ever been refinished - it looks factory new.

Attachments

Dsc03519.jpg
.JPG | 378.8KB | Dsc03519.jpg
Dsc03429.jpg
.JPG | 170.1KB | Dsc03429.jpg

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 9:35 am

cool project......my alaska stove looks pretty much the same except it's red ......paint it ford blue hehe
somewhere in my files is the pile of parts that made up my efm stoker kit......only needed 500 bucks worth of stuff to get it goin lol......good luck with it!
scott

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 11:55 am

europachris wrote:Yeah, you're lucky! Matthaus foisted off this project on me as a basket case w/no instructions or parts! :D
Dsc03110s.jpg
DSC03103.JPG
Best tool I found for the surfaces is a cheap angle grinder with wire cup wheel and also those 3M paint stripping pads you put in your drill that are like a real coarse abrasive Brillo pad. It's time consuming as he!!, but the results are worth it. Also, once most of the rust and paint is off, hit the stove with straight laquer thinner on a rag (wear nitrile gloves and LOTS of ventilation). The stove paint will melt right off and you'll be down to bare metal in no time. Using Stove-Brite charcoal color, you would not be able to tell my stove has ever been refinished - it looks factory new.
You did a fantastic job on that stove, I can't believe it's the same one.
I only hope mine looks as good when it's done. Even though it's going to be installed in the cellar I 'm to much of a perfectionist to do a half-way job. If I wasn't this way, I wouldn't even bother painting it.

Thanks for the encouragement!

av8r

Post by av8r » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 12:02 pm

europachris wrote:Yeah, you're lucky! Matthaus foisted off this project on me as a basket case w/no instructions or parts! :D
Matthaus is like the local illegal substance dealer...only his substance is iron!!

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 12:31 pm

It's part of my program of "No Stove left Behind". :lol: :lol: I am a hopeless junk collector, I see the possibilities where others see folly and too much work. The good thing is I have infected a few of you along the way. The Channing II I am selling on ebay right now was way worse than either of the ones I foisted on my fellow forum members. The Harman Magnum I sold recently was left outside in the weather for 6 months and ended up looking brand new!

Hooray for the resurrection of the derelict and despondent hunks of iron that used to burn coal with pride and service to humanity! Chris is the inspiration to start a whole new movement. :dancing: toothy :notworthy:

Just call me the Sanford and Sons wanna be from now on. :lol: :lol:

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 12:33 pm

I brought the stove home last February, and worked on it most of the summer on and off. I'd guess I have about 40 to 50 hours into the strip, repaint, and rebuild. The worst part was getting all the rust and caked on fly ash out of the stove, that was a mess. But, I did it outside on a windy day and let it all blow over to my neighbor's house...... :P

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Dec. 16, 2007 12:35 pm

Oh and I almost forgot, my apologies to Chris, I could have at least provided some parts! ;)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”