High Temp Silicone

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:03 am

Is 500 degree silicone sufficient to use on the combustion motor flange?

spc

Post by spc » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:09 am

Use flat fiberglass gasket rope.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:31 am

Rope gasket would be too thick. Half of the flange fits into a housing that's welded to the back of the stove. The housing (I'm sure there's a better word to describe it) holds one side of the flange tight to the stove, the other side is bolted. There is just enough play that the combustion motor starts rattling but, if there wasn't any play, you wouldn't be able to remove the combustion fan assembly.

So, I'm looking at either high temp silicone or furnace cement. The silicone would dampen it the best but, I'm not sure if 500 degree silicone would hold up on the back of the stove.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:41 am

Kaowool. PM me you address and how much you need, I will send you some.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 1:16 pm

Use the kaowool if you don't you'll have one terrible mess. Any good local plumbing shop should have it. The plumbing shop right down from me sells it. The piece in the picture was about $1.50 if I remeber correctly. They carry 3/32 thick all the way up to 1" thick. They use the stuff to seal up combustion blowers on pellet stoves.

Attachments

100_2105.jpg
.JPG | 900.4KB | 100_2105.jpg
100_2106.jpg
.JPG | 264.4KB | 100_2106.jpg

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 1:57 pm

This is on a combustion motor flange??? is the paint burnt off the flange?? If not the 500* silicone will work fine. I can't believe that any electric motor blowing air through a mounting flange can have temps exceeding 2-300* or the motor would burn up in short order.

I say go ahead and give it a try. Use small quantities.

Greg L

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 8:47 pm

The only part of a stoker stove exterior that gets over 500*F in my experience is the stove body near the fire (sides and front), the rest of the areas get hot but not that hot. Even the doors are isolated by the rope gasket and the hinge connection, my doors usually measure 400*F max.

I use 500*F silicone to attach the fiberglass rope to the doors. No issues or problems with that. I also use it under the combustion fan flanges to seal and isolate for noise purposes, works great. On the Harman Magnums the fans just slide into a slot, they will back out and rattle if I don't put a small bead on each slot. The silicone has amazing adhesive qualities, I have to slice the bead to get the combustion fan out! :lol:

Of course kaowool works too. :)

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 10:20 pm

Matthaus wrote:The only part of a stoker stove exterior that gets over 500*F in my experience is the stove body near the fire (sides and front), the rest of the areas get hot but not that hot. Even the doors are isolated by the rope gasket and the hinge connection, my doors usually measure 400*F max.

I use 500*F silicone to attach the fiberglass rope to the doors. No issues or problems with that. I also use it under the combustion fan flanges to seal and isolate for noise purposes, works great. On the Harman Magnums the fans just slide into a slot, they will back out and rattle if I don't put a small bead on each slot. The silicone has amazing adhesive qualities, I have to slice the bead to get the combustion fan out! :lol:

Of course kaowool works too. :)
Do you just apply the sealant and bolt it together or let it skin over a bit for better dampening properties?

What RTV do you buy? I have tubes of the black metallic stuff lying around. High heat...

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 15, 2007 10:27 pm

av8r wrote:Do you just apply the sealant ...What RTV do you buy?
I just put it together, have not really been worrying the noise angle aside from securing from rattles, I would imagine letting it cure for a few minutes first would be a good idea for that.

I get mine on ebay 6 tubes for 11.95 (black), if you do a search on hi temp silicone you can usually find some deals. It is rated at 600*F on some buys and 500*F on others, seems to be the same stuff. I do know the burnt orange rtv is higher temp, we use it at work and it's rated at 750*F.

Grinder

Post by Grinder » Wed. Dec. 19, 2007 11:40 am

Thanks for the replies. Checked into kaowool but, it is too thick. I found 700 degree silicone, after the fact, which would have been my preference. Ended up using high temp gasket glue and sealer. I'm not sure if it helped or not.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”