Handfired or Stoker Furnace, Should I Switch

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-Vigilant-II), D.S. 1600 Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: MANY (Mostly when burning wood)

Post Thu. Jan. 17, 2013 6:22 am

I can tell you my observations going from coal stove to stoker boiler. during the colder winter days (not spring/fall), I would tend the hand fired every 12 hours. The stoker boiler, every 24 hours. As far as fuel consumption; at the end of the heating season, I see where the stoker boiler uses about 1/2 ton less. Dead of winter, they consume about the same amount per 24 hour day. The stoker may use a tadd less. Spring and fall is where I find the stoker boiler really shines. It heats just enough water to do the job. In other words; it stores BTU's in the water. If no call for heat, it just sets there idleing on the timer. But, you do need electric for a stoker. I like both, hand fired and stoker. For boiler, my choice would be stoker.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”