Best Way to...

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 4:58 pm

Ya done good. If you go down 611 going into Doylestown, I believe it's a Nursery now, but it used to be a big farm that I worked back in the mid to late 70's--sooooo, Chalfont huh??? Used to be a real nice area, is it still country?

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post by dcrane » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 5:05 pm

dalimama wrote:So, delivery is set for tomorrow and Matthew (from this forum) is set to install the coal part of it on Monday. Don't worry... I'll try to take lots of pics since I know you guys like that sort of thing. The plumber should be out Monday or Tuesday, too, so it is my hope that we will be up and running fully by midweek!

Can't wait to be warm.
I like this girl... she knows everything! beer, more pics and fire If I was near id stop by to help and watch the process... Im sure this hassle and work will be very satisfying to you in the end!
if all fails, I can refer a good realtor for you in your area :lol:

P.S. you have one of those stairwells they used to build with hanging supports :shock: make sure those stairs are well supported from underneath before taking that first step!

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Yes for sure you need good support under those stairs. I think I also read there was only 1/2" clearance going down the stairs? Thats shaving it pretty close. Will take lots of care and patience to avoid problems. A chain fall would be my vote to lower it down. I rented one when we brought my boiler down the stairs. Money well spent.

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 10:09 pm

freetown fred wrote:Ya done good. If you go down 611 going into Doylestown, I believe it's a Nursery now, but it used to be a big farm that I worked back in the mid to late 70's--sooooo, Chalfont huh??? Used to be a real nice area, is it still country?
Yep, Chalfont... not really country anymore. We've lived here 13 years and they just keep building townhome communities. There are a few smaller farms left, but that's about it.

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Fri. Jan. 11, 2013 10:16 pm

P.S. you have one of those stairwells they used to build with hanging supports :shock: make sure those stairs are well supported from underneath before taking that first step![/quote]

Hubby said he was going to put extra support under the stairs... I haven't seen anything yet, so I guess that's what he's doing in the morning before boiler arrival. We picked up 6 bags of coal today just to have some on hand since hubby will also have to build a coal bin this week. What's crazy is that our basement has a coal bin, but it's in the other room of the basement and the window that it appears the coal came through is located under the porch, which appears to be original. So, we are scratching our heads wondering how the coal came through that window... some things may always be a mystery. My hubby did find a few brass leaves in the coal bin today... more oddities from yesteryear.

Personally, I am ready for the beer drinking part of installation. :cheers: :beer:

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sat. Jan. 12, 2013 12:31 am

Is it possible that the original decking on the porch had a hatch?

Mike

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sun. Jan. 27, 2013 9:01 am

Hey dali any updates on the install?

Rich

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Mon. Jan. 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Yes! The install is complete minus the missing baffle and one other part that Matthew (from this forum) was able to construct by cutting a piece of sheet metal out of our old oil boiler and using that for now. I have pics and some video but haven't had time to upload anything yet.

So, we are using it and our house is warmer than it's ever been even set at 64. Without the baffle, I understand we are losing heat up the chimney, so we don't want to make the temp any higher until the baffle arrives. We bought our first ton of coal last Monday, 1/21, and the pile is looking like it only has a few days left... that seems like a lot of coal to burn in 12 days. So, my question is would the lack of baffle effect how much is burned this much? We are heating a 3 story, 112 year old Victorian with original windows approx. 1800 square feet, plus basement.

Thoughts?

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 6:57 am

You picked a great time to fire up a fresh installation...last week was the coldest week we have seen in two years, and you proved that even with less than ideal conditions the boiler has enough grunt to drive the cold out of the basement walls and heat the house. The first week is always tough on the coal pile, especially when you a bringing an old Victorian up to temperature.

The boiler will use more coal without the baffle, but I am not aware of any 'stats' for with and without.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 7:14 am

dalimama wrote:but it's in the other room of the basement and the window that it appears the coal came through is located under the porch, which appears to be original. So, we are scratching our heads wondering how the coal came through that window...
There is lot of velocity on the coal when it's delivered from a coal truck.
You'd lay a chute flat or at a very low angle under the porch. The chute from the truck gets placed on that. If you look under the porch you'll most likely find coal there from the occasional piece bouncing off the chute or if it ever got blocked. Skirting on the porch is going to be hinged in that area unless it has been replaced. Might even be a little door there. Your house most likely had nut coal and that will fly across the chute very easily even if the chute is completely flat.

Rice is a different story, If you're going to use it the rice may be problematic depending on the length and angle especially when it's cold out. In some case you would need to cut the porch and put in a trap door and then you can chute over the railing of the porch assuming of course you can back the truck up to the porch.

MATTHEW D.

Post by MATTHEW D. » Tue. Jan. 29, 2013 8:32 pm

dalimama wrote:Yes! The install is complete minus the missing baffle and one other part that Matthew (from this forum) was able to construct by cutting a piece of sheet metal out of our old oil boiler and using that for now. I have pics and some video but haven't had time to upload anything yet.

So, we are using it and our house is warmer than it's ever been even set at 64. Without the baffle, I understand we are losing heat up the chimney, so we don't want to make the temp any higher until the baffle arrives. We bought our first ton of coal last Monday, 1/21, and the pile is looking like it only has a few days left... that seems like a lot of coal to burn in 12 days. So, my question is would the lack of baffle effect how much is burned this much? We are heating a 3 story, 112 year old Victorian with original windows approx. 1800 square feet, plus basement.

Thoughts?
I'm glad to hear it is up and running. Don't forget to install a barometric damper in the stove pipe, I didn't have one to install that day. It will help with your heat loss. Maybe Tom ( from the forum) can help with that and a manometer to tweek things just right. Keep us posted

Ziggy
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ziggy » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 10:08 am

Already on the case. Their draft over there fire is a whopping .40 but after a couple weeks with no heat or hot water the prioity was to run it as is and let the coal consumption be what it is. Waiting for the call that they have the baro and baffle , planning to kill both birds with one outfire. Nice job on the reconditioning. It started and ran perfect.

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Hey Tom and/or Matt,
The baffle is on it's way. Where do I get the barometric damper? Does Jeff know about it? Let me know. I am happy to be warm and huge thanks go out to both of you and Pacowy.

Dalissa

Ziggy
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ziggy » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 12:53 pm

I got mine from R.E. Michaels in Quakertown, but any heating supply store will have it, I don't know Chalfont well, so cant give local suggestions. Maybe Willies Plumbing and Heating in Quakertown, possibly a fireplace and stove shop.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Wed. Jan. 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”