Best Way to...

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 3:53 pm

What's the best way to get an EFM 350 down narrow basement stairs without hurting yourself? This is my question of the day and yes, we could probably hire someone else to do it, but you know men, they want to do it themselves. (yes, I said it). So, I am throwing this question out there.

Thanks!
Dalimama

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 4:15 pm

dalimama wrote:What's the best way to get an EFM 350 down narrow basement stairs without hurting yourself? This is my question of the day and yes, we could probably hire someone else to do it, but you know men, they want to do it themselves. (yes, I said it). So, I am throwing this question out there.

Thanks!
Dalimama
Stand at the top and just push !!!! Oh wait a minute, you don't want it to get damaged or damage something else..... :doh:

If you are talking outside stairs, sometimes they can be removed and a lifting device can lower it to the basement floor.

For interior steps some have reinforced the steps themselves first and then either covered the steps with something like planks to slide it down. Now to carefully slide it down the steps, some have attached a chainfall or similar device to something solid in the area to slowwwwwly slide it down the steps. Others have run a cable or strapping through the house if there is direct access to a door and used a vehicle to slowwwwly lower it down the steps.

NO ONE AND I REPEAT NO ONE should be on the downhill side and thing they can slowly come towaqrd them where they can hold it back.

Post some pictures of your house stairs and the area before and after the stairway and we can better offer advice.

Rick

CoaLen
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by CoaLen » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Here ya go....

How Did You Get Your Coal Stove Into Your House???

As Rick said, most of all, be careful!
Oh, and welcome to NEPA Crossroads. You'll find it all here.
-Len

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Every circumstance is different.... My gut says rigging and a winch, but we need much more info. And, as noted. never, ever, allow humans (or dogs...cats are OK <evil grin>) to be in a place where if something slips, breaks, shifts or falls, humans get squished.

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Tue. Jan. 08, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks... I'll take pics tomorrow when there's more light and read through the lengthy explanations of how others did it. (thanks for the link!)

You guys are a wealth of knowledge, I love that.

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 7:32 am

Thanks Rick, took all the fun out of that one. :D

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post by Scottscoaled » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 7:55 am

You should post where you live. There might be an experienced member or two in your area that would certainly enjoy helping a new coal burner out ;) :)

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 8:15 am

I have used an appliance cart with a rope and pulley setup for control...put planks on the stairs and roll it down.

dalimama

Post by dalimama » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 8:27 am

We live in Chalfont, PA. I'd be more than happy for anyone to join us in this adventure.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 8:33 am

Around here, U-Haul will rent you an appliance dolly rated for 700 lb. for $10/day.

Mike

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 8:50 am

Do you have a beam in the basement that can be used to hoise the boiler on top of the base? If not, you better have some manpower available. It took 6 guys to put my 520 on the base, but two of them were over 60...so call it 5. ;)

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 10:34 am

It helps some that the 350 head is 575 lb vs. 750 lb for the 520. So let the old guys take a break. :lol:

Of course, while observing, the old guys could probably find ways to slip the head onto the base as it comes off the lower steps (and roll the whole assembly on pipes to the installation position), or otherwise use a little planning and leverage instead of brute strength. But if the young guys with the brute strength can handle it (carefully), that works, too.

Mike

P.S. When it comes to lifting the dead weight of a boiler head, 1 engine hoist, winch or come-along>6 strong guys.

Rob R.
Site Moderator

Post by Rob R. » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 10:54 am

I never said the boiler was dead-lifted onto the base ;) ...there was a cart, some blocks, and a big bar involved.

My current EFM project was set on the base using a chain hoist. Lifted the boiler up, set the base under it on pipes, lowered the boiler onto the base, and then rolled the whole thing into position. A new house with 9' basement ceilings and a huge center beam is a treat to work in.

Pacowy

Post by Pacowy » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 11:21 am

Rob R. wrote:I never said the boiler was dead-lifted onto the base ;) ...there was a cart, some blocks, and a big bar involved.
The combination of young guys and a bar is often not good for productivity. No wonder it took so many of you. :lol:

If I recall correctly, it took 4 guys - 3 of them geezers - and a little equipment to remove the (1465 lb) EFM 900 boiler head from the basement of our old house. And the young guy was only there because he could get up after bending down to move the rolling pipes. :clap: Of course, since I was one of the geezers, there's always the chance I'm not recalling correctly...

Mike

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Wed. Jan. 09, 2013 11:30 am

dalimama wrote:We live in Chalfont, PA. I'd be more than happy for anyone to join us in this adventure.
There are a few of us in the area who would not mind giving a helping hand.

Let us know. We work cheap...... :funny: toothy

Rick

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”