Installing Hyfire II W/ Heat Jacket Into Existing Ductwork

eatakarrot

Post by eatakarrot » Thu. Jan. 03, 2013 7:20 pm

Hello Group,

I'm relatively new to coal heating. I purchased the Hyfire II late last winter. I originally installed it into the plenum side of my heater. The 8" duct fan and (2) 265 CFM fans that came with the unit were not adequate. I have read many posts on here about hooking into the cold air return. I'm looking for the feedback on best practices/results. The Hyfire kicks off a ton of heat. I just need to channel it throughout the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, any recommendations on where to purchase bulk anthracite coal in South Jersey? I'm about 10 minutes from Philadelphia. The only place I have found is Woodstown Coal & Ice and they only sell 40 lb bags.

Thanks for your help in advance.

strez123

Post by strez123 » Thu. Jan. 03, 2013 9:15 pm

A co worker of mine has a hyfire II with a 14 inch duct top , the first think to do to move the massive heat that unit makes from the dual 90 thousand BTU burners is remove the 265 blowers they are useless for long duct runs . a max fan 14 inch mounted at the floor joist and duct from there or send it into your hot air plenum. You will need a cold air return outlet in the floor or off your return trunk. You will also need a back flow baffle or plate to block reverse flow in your existing system. The max fan is a quality piece made in Germany . it is rated at 1700 cfm and can plug directly in to the coal trol box where the 265cfm blower went. This will allow the coal trol to control the fan speed in relation to the feeder rate ,or u can control it in manual mode. The amps that this blower draws is so little compared to other fans per cfm. it is also rated for 82 centigrade air stream temp or 178 Fahrenheit. here is a link.......http://www.canfilters.com/max_fan_home_2.html

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Jan. 03, 2013 10:58 pm

strez123 wrote:A co worker of mine has a hyfire II with a 14 inch duct top , the first think to do to move the massive heat that unit makes from the dual 90 thousand BTU burners is remove the 265 blowers they are useless for long duct runs . a max fan 14 inch mounted at the floor joist and duct from there or send it into your hot air plenum. You will need a cold air return outlet in the floor or off your return trunk. You will also need a back flow baffle or plate to block reverse flow in your existing system. The max fan is a quality piece made in Germany . it is rated at 1700 cfm and can plug directly in to the coal trol box where the 265cfm blower went. This will allow the coal trol to control the fan speed in relation to the feeder rate ,or u can control it in manual mode. The amps that this blower draws is so little compared to other fans per cfm. it is also rated for 82 centigrade air stream temp or 178 Fahrenheit. here is a link.......http://www.canfilters.com/max_fan_home_2.html
That is a slick product. I have to look into them.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Jan. 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Sones are a little steep. Just my opinion but something to consider with any install. I have evolved my install soo many times in the last thirty years, I truly believe I am where I need to be :oops: Or am I really in the dark still :shock:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”