Another Coal Dust Question

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Kungur
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: K-2

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 8:19 am

So I had 12 tons of coal delivered a few weeks back. I built an outdoor bin which right now does not have a trap of it. I plan to put one on soon to keep debris out. But my question is if it gets rained on will it be dust free when I go to move it into the basement?

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 9:01 am

Yep, but it will also freeze up & you'll be wanting to keep a post hole starter close by. Or at least a good maul. ;)
"A people that values it's privileges above it's principals, soon loses both"--Dwight D Eisenhower

buffalo bob
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: anthracite nut

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 9:11 am

freetown fred wrote:Yep, but it will also freeze up & you'll be wanting to keep a post hole starter close by. Or at least a good maul. ;)
or a stick of dny no mite... a nice piece of rubber roof as a tarp would negate the purchase of all the required hardware...just this old mountain mans theory...

Kungur
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: K-2

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 10:09 am

I don't have to worry about the freezing. I have this years supply in the basement bins. This is the next 3 years!

titleist1
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Mag Stoker (old style) one in basement, one in workshop
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III on standby for long power outages
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite; Nut/Anthracite

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 10:14 am

awesome that you have a few years in supply on hand!

if the coal is dry when you bring it in there will be some dust.

if the coal is damp when you bring it in there will be no dust.

even if it washed by the rain as it sits there not all the dust will be washed out of the pile and then moving it again to bring it inside will cause more dust as the pieces of coal abrade against each other. so if it is damp when you move it the dust issue is resolved.
I drive a VW TDI, heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have two vintage JD diesel tractors....
The EPA just loves me!!

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 10:41 am

Hose it before you move it, OR just do what I did. I left mine sitting in barrels while it rained for a few days. When I put it in the basement I simply picked the 500 pound 55 gallon drum up over head, spun it upside down and whoosh ------> straight into the basement thru the coal chute door and viola, NO DUST :D Good thing the nieghbors didn't see me :lol:

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 3:03 pm

Lightning wrote:Hose it before you move it, OR just do what I did. I left mine sitting in barrels while it rained for a few days. When I put it in the basement I simply picked the 500 pound 55 gallon drum up over head, spun it upside down and whoosh ------> straight into the basement thru the coal chute door and viola, NO DUST :D Good thing the nieghbors didn't see me :lol:
This brought back memories of coal deliveries where a large wooden barrel was used to transfer the coal from truck to chute. The barrel was filled and then tilted and spun over to the chute. The trucks also had wheelbarrows that were special to the coal trade. They had iron pipe handles instead of wood. Evidently the barrel method was easier and faster on certain jobs.

Lightning
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Overmodified/Bored out Clayton 1537
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Awesome Size

Post Wed. Dec. 19, 2012 4:50 pm

franco b wrote:This brought back memories of coal deliveries where a large wooden barrel was used to transfer the coal from truck to chute. The barrel was filled and then tilted and spun over to the chute. The trucks also had wheelbarrows that were special to the coal trade. They had iron pipe handles instead of wood. Evidently the barrel method was easier and faster on certain jobs.
Yeah I do the tilt and spin thing too since I transport my coal with 5 - 55 gallon barrels at a time. They work out to be 480 pounds plus the barrel (20 pounds). I have to leave them on the ground about 50 feet from the chute door and then I have to leap frog with 3 pieces of plywood since the edge of the barrel would otherwise dig into the ground making them all but impossible to spin. :shock:
I've gotton pretty good at spinning them on their edge. I think I've gained some muscle mass too :lol:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”