Finally Got Mine Lit Tonight...

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 9:16 pm

Bought it last Friday and due to a few bumps in the road wasn't able to get it lit until tonight. Leisure Line Hearth. Stunk up the house on the initial burn as all the paint and oil and crap burned off, but now it's just idling. The Coal-Trol appears to be doing it's thing. I'm sure I won't sleep tonight...

Those coal mice work amazingly well. 4-5 minutes and I had a blazing fire. I think my combustion motor has an issue though...it's pretty noisy and if I apply pressure to the housing with my hand the noise gets worse or better depending on the area I apply pressure to. The wife isn't pleased with the noise. I hope this can be resolved or else this will be the shortest install in history.

Here's the obligatory pictures.

ken

Post by ken » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 10:03 pm

looks nice. I sure those bricks will help too. sure Leisure Line be right on it :D

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 10:15 pm

ken wrote:looks nice. I sure those bricks will help too. sure Leisure Line be right on it :D
I agree that the bricks should help some. That fireplace has a metal heatalator insert in it and those ports on either side, when opened and a roaring fire was in there would pour heat out, but the mess of wood was a PITA. If I can get the combustion motor quieted down (I'm sure Jerry will assist) I think the wifey will be pleased.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 11:15 pm

Enjoy the heat and money savings! I'm sure you will be able to get the combustion fan thing sorted out, nothing a good hammer won't fix! :lol:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 7:52 am

The fan noise could be an alignment issue. Push and pull on it in several directions to see if it gets quieter, if so, loosen the mount and give it a nudge in that direction or shim it to get it to quiet down.

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 8:35 am

Looks great. Enjoy!!

spc

Post by spc » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 8:46 am

If stove is resting right on the brick try shimming it with thick rubber or felt pads. It may cut down noise on both fans. Mine is no louder than a window AC.

av8r

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 1:22 pm

spc wrote:If stove is resting right on the brick try shimming it with thick rubber or felt pads. It may cut down noise on both fans. Mine is no louder than a window AC.
I had to get a new combustion motor/fan. The new one is *much* quieter. I'm going to build a removable "box" around the combustion/feeder area out of drywall and plumb the intake of the combustion fan into some insulated flex and point it back towards the inside of the fireplace. This should make a significant difference in ambient sound levels which will make me and the wifey very happy. Next is some mods on the convection fan setup to quiet it down some.

spc

Post by spc » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 3:30 pm

Please post pictures of mods when you are done. Thanks.

av8r

Post by av8r » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 5:17 pm

spc wrote:Please post pictures of mods when you are done. Thanks.
Check here for the first go round...

Post by av8r - Quieter Is Better...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”