Feed Rate and Rheostat Control

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
traderfjp
Stove/Furnace Make: Alaska
Stove/Furnace Model: Channing 3

Post Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 9:58 am

I have a coal stove that does my main floor and just installed a pellet stove in the basement. There really isn't a low setting. Can I put a rheostat on the feed rate? The pellet stove has a timer just like my Alasak stove. The lowest setting still has a pretty high flame and is buring through pellets faster than I would like.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert in any coal or plumbing related field. I only post my own experiences, research and common sense. If you choose to use any of the information in this post or any other post you do so at your own risk.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Sat. Dec. 15, 2012 11:11 am

Be very careful messing with the feed rate...you do not want a hopper fire. Try the forums at hearth.com and see what the pellet guys think.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”