Hopper Makes Clanking Sound When Feeding?

ErinMarie

Post by ErinMarie » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 1:34 pm

OK, we've had our Harman DVC-500 up and running for 15 days now. Today all of a sudden I was checking my email here and when the stove fed, it made a loud "clanking" sound. I envision it being something like if you're turning a gear, there is a pebble (coal, whatever) and it's making the gear pop.

What is causing this, do you think? My husband is on his way home (because I'm a sissy for now) to check it out.

I did turn the stove up to a higher temperature to cause the feeder to run - and it clanked and clanked -- and I do think it finally stopped making that sound, but it kept feeding FOREVER. I turned the temp back down and it still fed - which maybe there is just a delay from when I turn the knob until it knows what to do. But I got scared and turned it to the "off" position. After about 2 minutes I turned it on low -- and the feeder came on & off like normal (I didn't hear clanking).

Anyway - I talk to much when I get nervous (see?) - I was wondering what could cause the clanking. Is it typical? Or is a problem? And if so, how big of a problem? Do you have this happen?

Thanks.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Dec. 11, 2007 1:47 pm

The Harman stoker mechanism is really pretty robust, so will not be easily damaged. I have familiarity with the Magnum stoker which is slightly different so I'm not sure what exactly can make it clank, however is probably just a rock or other foreign object that got stuck in the pusher block area. You were right to shut it down, no sense damaging anything.

Since you can get at the mechanism on the side you should be able to manually move the mechanism with the stove Off. Hopefully you don't have to remove the coal from the hopper to get the obstruction out of there. The manual should give you some idea of how to get the pusher block to move freely.

Not sure if I helped, but it is not normal for it to clank loudly. A slight clunk each time the block moves is normal. :)

noknokman

Post by noknokman » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 12:43 am

I also have a DVC-500 and it has always made some noise when feeding (I think it's grinding bits of coal that get stuck somewhere). I would guess all the 500's do that. Is the sound your hearing different than that?
My dealer told me the only problem he's ever had with a DVC-500 was a loose setscrew on the feeder shaft. If you open up the right side cover in the back (as you're facing the stove), theres a shaft that runs from the feed-motor gearbox to a pillow block bearing. There is a setscrew at either end. If one of them is loose, then you might get that sound as the flat part of the shaft passes the screw on each revolution. Probably more likely if there's a piece of shale or large lump of coal partially jamming the feeder. Might be worth checking. Please let us know

Nok

TCOAL

Post by TCOAL » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 7:02 am

Also have a dvc-500. At times it makes the same noise. No big concern. Make sure you clean out the fines tray
once a week. dvc-500 heats my entire house. Gas heat has not been on in 20 days.

CoalBin
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500
Other Heating: Wood Stove & Oil

Post by CoalBin » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 10:55 am

My DVC makes all sorts of noises when feeding.

Normally it goes through a few push cycles, then you here the clinking of coal ash falling off the burn tray. This puts me to sleep at night, knowing it still has enough coal. You don't hear the clinking when it is out of coal - or the ash bin is way overfilled.

Ocasionally it crushes a lump of coal, this sounds like my ice maker in crushed ice mode.

Sometimes a lump of coal blocks part of the feed - if you look at the burn tray the fire line will be uneven. Unless its real bad, I wait till the hopper is empty, grab the lump & toss it on the fire. I had this happen maybe 2x last season, 1x already this season.

Like someone else mentioned, the DVC feed system is robust. I had mine all apart along with the rest of the stove in an effort to save weight getting it off the truck and into the basement. The pusher block and shaft weigh quite a few pounds - the 3/4 steel shaft runs on hefty, greasable pillow block bearings. The gearbox is cast metal with gears running in grease.

Sometimes my hinged side panels make a rattling noise, the noise goes away when I reseat them. The feed motor has a small fan on it ( this is the fan above the fines tray door) Is anything in contact with it ( IE - wires ) Perhaps when they changed your temp probe ?

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 11:40 am

funny I was reading this last night. I go to bed , get up and the stove is making a clanking noise. the screws holding the stoker motor up are all loose. tightened them up , ok for now. when I shut down in the spring , I will get some better setup. some nylon nuts or some locktight.

ErinMarie

Post by ErinMarie » Wed. Dec. 12, 2007 12:41 pm

Thanks, guys. It's nice to have a place to talk with people familiar with stoves, and the kind we have in particular.

My husband came home and we opened up the right side door to see what was going on -- by the time he was home, though, the clanking stopped. The example of it sounding like ice in a crusher is pretty much what I heard. My husband said the screws were all tight...but that is something we'll check now & then to be sure of, since now we know they can come loose.

Since everything is working fine now my guess it was a piece of coal getting crushed. Glad to hear that the stoker is robust!! I think I was also a little on edge since we had the faulty circuit board/temp probe at the start that made the stove go all wonky. Now when something is "off" I get more nervous more quickly. But the more I learn, the more comfortable I am. Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”