Water Treatment

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
tinmanKC10
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KC10
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker
Stove/Furnace Model: KC-10 Keystoker

Post Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 9:42 am

I have a Keystoker KC-10 and recently made the switch over from outdoor wood/coal boiler. I need to know what is recommended for boiler water treatment and what type of antifreez could be used.

Thanks
Its never to much, its just more than your used to...
http://www.epsbullets.com

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 10:45 am

Standard boiler antifreeze (not the same as automotive) can be used, but I would carefully consider if it is necessary. Not only does it try to leak out of every valve stem and imperfect joint, it is pretty expensive. Have you priced out the quantity required to treat your system?

They make "conditioner" that can be added to boiler water, but not all of the products are compatible with antifreeze. Your local plumbing supply house should have something that will work either way.

tinmanKC10

Post Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 11:23 am

I live alone so incase something happens to me that I cant tend the fire I was think of a antifreeze just for insurance since my KC-10 is out in my shop, no backup heat source there.

As far as treatment goes I am assuming its primary function would be to inhibit rust and corrosion?

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: anthracite/rice coal

Post Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I think most outdoor wood/coal boilers are open systems, not under pressure. I don't know for sure but maybe they are more prone to problems with the water. Most domestic boilers (closed systems under pressure) don't have any conditioner in the water.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. Winston Churchill

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." —General George S. Patton

Burning rice coal in a 1981 EFM DF520, nut coal in a hand fired Jotul 507.

tinmanKC10

Post Fri. Dec. 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Ok sounds good thanks

331camaro
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker k6
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post Sat. Dec. 08, 2012 8:51 am

i wanted to run anti freeze, or glycol in my system untill I learned more about it. instead I just keep an eye on it. I think the only way that keystoker is going to lose fire is if you let it run out of coal. good luck!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”