Pocono Ash Door Gasket

etned

Post by etned » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 11:32 am

I have a Pocono bottom exhaust stove we purchased a year ago from Woodford Bros. I went to empty the trash pan a couple of days ago and the door gasket fell completely off. I did get the door with the gasket somewhat in place. The glue substance seemed to be rock hard and brittle. I am a little surprised and disappointed that I have this issue with a year old stove. Any idea why this might have happened or how to keep it from happening would be appreciated.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 11:48 am

I am in the process of changing both gaskets, load door and ash pan, it's called maintenance I do it every season. Simular to changing the oil in a vehicle. Besides cleaning and checking fire bricks, it is the warmest five bucks I will spend this month. ;)

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 11:50 am

etned wrote:I have a Pocono bottom exhaust stove we purchased a year ago from Woodford Bros. I went to empty the trash pan a couple of days ago and the door gasket fell completely off. I did get the door with the gasket somewhat in place. The glue substance seemed to be rock hard and brittle. I am a little surprised and disappointed that I have this issue with a year old stove. Any idea why this might have happened or how to keep it from happening would be appreciated.
Just curious have you contacted Woodford bros at all about this, or did you just come right to this board? The most common causes of the gasket coming loose are tightening the door to tight or slamming it. All you need to do when closing the doors is lightly let the handle rotate to the closed position. We use high temp mortar to install the gasket so it will crack. The other reason they get pulled off is if the door is left closed all summer in a humid environment and the gasket rusts to the stove and sticks and get pulled off. Dave

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 11:52 am

Yep, because stuff just hapens--I myself don't much care about the why's, but, I'm righy up there on the fixes. ;) I use permatex silicone (red) 0n my gaskets & have very good results--If you've got a small wood/ metal chisel--gently knock the old hard stuff out--being it is NEW, I would call the company & register a documented GRIPE. LL is good people & pay attention to thier customers

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 12:14 pm

freetown fred wrote:Yep, because stuff just hapens--I myself don't much care about the why's, but, I'm righy up there on the fixes. ;) I use permatex silicone (red) 0n my gaskets & have very good results--If you've got a small wood/ metal chisel--gently knock the old hard stuff out--being it is NEW, I would call the company & register a documented GRIPE. LL is good people & pay attention to thier customers
Fred, your replies are usually to the point so why contradict yourself. How can you suggest document a complaint when a hunk of steel is heated to 500* or so for 5 or 6 months and a little maintenance is required. Would it be like running your car in your driveway continually for 6 months and complaining to the manufacturor that you need an oil change even though you didn't go anywhere?

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 12:16 pm

michaelanthony wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Yep, because stuff just hapens--I myself don't much care about the why's, but, I'm righy up there on the fixes. ;) I use permatex silicone (red) 0n my gaskets & have very good results--If you've got a small wood/ metal chisel--gently knock the old hard stuff out--being it is NEW, I would call the company & register a documented GRIPE. LL is good people & pay attention to thier customers
Fred, your replies are usually to the point so why contradict yourself. How can you suggest document a complaint when a hunk of steel is heated to 500* or so for 5 or 6 months and a little maintenance is required. Would it be like running your car in your driveway continually for 6 months and complaining to the manufacturor that you need an oil change even though you didn't go anywhere?
I think he was being a smart a$$. :D

michaelanthony

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Flyer5 wrote:
michaelanthony wrote: Fred, your replies are usually to the point so why contradict yourself. How can you suggest document a complaint when a hunk of steel is heated to 500* or so for 5 or 6 months and a little maintenance is required. Would it be like running your car in your driveway continually for 6 months and complaining to the manufacturor that you need an oil change even though you didn't go anywhere?
I think he was being a smart ass. :D
:shock:

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 1:06 pm

I meant about the GRIPE part . LOL

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 3:15 pm

Sometimes my humor just escapes people thank you DAVE--oh OK--you too Anthony :clap: toothy NOTE--I am workin on my social skills ;)

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Wed. Nov. 14, 2012 3:55 pm

Me thinks you shouldn't keep a trash pan in the bottom of any coal stove. Trash may catch on fire in there.

:gee:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”