Heat Reclaimer

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Fri. Dec. 07, 2007 9:13 pm

Does anyone use these heat re-claimers on their stokers? I was thinking of adding one to my stove pipe which run horizontal but upwards towards the chimeny about 6'. Before I look arounf for one I want to make sure it is something that would be beneficial.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Dec. 07, 2007 9:37 pm

I use a Vogelzang, it is absolutely not worth bothering with, I get more heat off a good fart!

Matthaus uses the Magic heat brand, ask him. I believe they are a much better unit.

The vogelzang only has 3 heat exchanger tubes and no way to clean them except to take it apart, The Magic heat has 6-7 heat exchanger tubes and an external rod to to clean the fly ash. A much better design.

BK

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Dec. 07, 2007 11:42 pm

bksaun wrote:I use a Vogelzang, it is absolutely not worth bothering with, I get more heat off a good fart!

Matthaus uses the Magic heat brand, ask him. I believe they are a much better unit.

The vogelzang only has 3 heat exchanger tubes and no way to clean them except to take it apart, The Magic heat has 6-7 heat exchanger tubes and an external rod to to clean the fly ash. A much better design.

BK
Hi BK Actually there are 10 1 inch tubes on mine 30.000 BTU.s I would not run my stove with out one well worth the money lots of heat and low stack temps I aso have a 6' Vogelzang witch I have to use yet internal snap switch No way to turn it off The magic heat has auto or manual switch you can run all the time or put it on auto and it kicks on at 130F off at 110F Plus like you said built in cleaning rod pull in and out cleans the pipes of Fly ash :)

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 9:07 am

could you post pix of the configuration? I would need to install it on the horizontal slopping upward length of my stove pipe

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 10:41 am

If you run it in the upper horizontal section of pipe you could point it down so as to get maximum benefit of the heat coming out. Here is my set up in the garage.

My local Lowes has them for $129.

Attachments

keystoker2.JPG

Fan runs all the time to maximize heat reduction in the stack.

.JPG | 125.4KB | keystoker2.JPG

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 12:15 pm

thanks matthaus, I assume they really work. do they get clogged or do you run the risk of that? is there a way to clean it withou taking the stove pipe off, but once the season is over.

I assume too that it will not decrease the draft?

Thanks for any additional information.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 12:41 pm

In answer to your questions: Yes they do work, although you would have to have a 500* flue temp to recover 35,000 btus :lol: ; Yes they do accumulate fly ash, although there is a scraper connected to the knob on the front if you do that once a day it will allow one "disconnect from flue and clean" event per year; and finally it reduces the stack temp by around 15% or so, unless you have some other kind of problem this will not reduce the draft by any measurable amount. :)

Enjoy the science project! :lol:

bill4117

Post by bill4117 » Sat. Dec. 08, 2007 5:20 pm

im using a reclaimer myself similar to the vogelzang, it's a 4 tube and it does wonders. I do own a magic heat exchanger but its for an 8 inch pipe and I have 6 inch with my stove. unfortunately I don't have enough room to expand to 8 inch hook up the magic heat and reduce back to 6. make sure with the stoker you have hot enough flue temps or you'll run the risk of reversing the draw on the chimney. most newer stokers are very efficient and lose minimal heat out of the flue.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Sun. Dec. 09, 2007 3:15 am

Matthaus wrote:In answer to your questions: Yes they do work, although you would have to have a 500* flue temp to recover 35,000 btus :lol: ; Yes they do accumulate fly ash, although there is a scraper connected to the knob on the front if you do that once a day it will allow one "disconnect from flue and clean" event per year; and finally it reduces the stack temp by around 15% or so, unless you have some other kind of problem this will not reduce the draft by any measurable amount. :)
njoy the science project! :lol:
Yes MR. Matthaus Just stating what the instruction book that came with the Magic
heat says it will recliam 30.000 BTU's :P

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Dec. 09, 2007 11:30 am

Oops typo, I guess its a good thing you are watching out for me MR coal berner. :lol: :lol:

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Sun. Dec. 09, 2007 2:35 pm

bill4117 wrote: I do own a magic heat exchanger but its for an 8 inch pipe and I have 6 inch with my stove. unfortunately I don't have enough room to expand to 8 inch hook up the magic heat and reduce back to 6. .
Are you looking to sell the 8" Magic Heat exchanger? if so, how much???

bill4117

Post by bill4117 » Mon. Dec. 10, 2007 5:04 pm

i do want to sell the 8 inch but pm me if interested (don't want to hyjack the thread)

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Dec. 10, 2007 5:53 pm

bill4117 wrote:im using a reclaimer myself similar to the vogelzang, it's a 4 tube and it does wonders. I do own a magic heat exchanger but its for an 8 inch pipe and I have 6 inch with my stove. unfortunately I don't have enough room to expand to 8 inch hook up the magic heat and reduce back to 6. make sure with the stoker you have hot enough flue temps or you'll run the risk of reversing the draw on the chimney. most newer stokers are very efficient and lose minimal heat out of the flue.
Hi biil4117 all you need is 8 to 6 reducer they do not take up any more space then what your pipe does I had to use one on mine I also have a 6" flue the Magic was a 8" it is just a collar that hooks up to you pipe Just a :idea:

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Mon. Dec. 10, 2007 6:02 pm

Matthaus wrote:Oops typo, I guess its a good thing you are watching out for me MR coal berner. :lol: :lol:
By the way my flue temps inside the pipe above the reclaimer is running 455F right now so the 30.000 B.T.U.'s Numbers are pretty close :P It all depends where you have the heat reclaimer hooked up at on the pipe / stove plus what stove / stoker you are using :D and of course the Quality of coal that you use :lol:

sauerzbr

Post by sauerzbr » Thu. Dec. 13, 2007 7:55 am

Here are a bunch of reviews on these things... Almost all VERY positive!

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ser ... _200331508

Then click on reviews.....

Negatives said that it rusts and is a bit noisy, but overall great results!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”