A Gasket Install ? From a Newbie, Please Help.

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 12:30 am

Hello coalpail.com,

I had purchased a used stoker this past summer and took it all apart to clean the rust & fly ash out. This included the removal of all the gaskets because they looked like they could use replacing. After cleaning everything as good as I could, I sprayed everything with LPS3. Now I want to put the gaskets on to the stoker tomorrow. It's getting really close to fire up time.

Should I completely remove all of the LPS3 before using gasket cement and the sticky part of the gasket when placing them on the metal? I was thinking I should wipe off as much as possible with a paper towel then burning the rest off with a propane torch. Is this the best option to get those gaskets to stick on for as long as possible?

Thank you from a coal burning want a be newbie.

Joeski

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 6:33 am

Good morning,

I always clean the gasket grove with Acetone before I glue the gaskets in place. In fact, I'll be replacing my gaskets later today to prep for lighting the match. Have you checked out the archives on Gasket replacement? It may be worth a stroll through the posts to see what has worked and what didn't. For me, replacing the gasket is always the last thing I do for stove prep because after I do that I put a piece of newspaper between the gasket and the door and close the door while the glue dries. The paper stops any oozing glue from sealing the door shut. I wouldn't worry about the glue sticking for a long time, most likely it's going to stick longer then the gasket is going to last. I've never had a gasket come off the door due to glue failure. It usually takes a good strong yank to get it off.

To check a gasket do the dollar test, if you close a dollar bill in the door, can you pull it out easily with the door closed ? If so you need a new gasket. Good luck on your journey with coal, you are going to love the heat! Lisa

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 8:54 am

lowfog01 wrote:I've never had a gasket come off the door due to glue failure. It usually takes a good strong yank to get it off.
I have had one come partially loose, but that was on the very first burn with new paint on the stove. I think what happened was, the paint itself got a little sticky when heated and stuck to the gasket, then hardened up, and it pulled the gasket loose when I opened the door. So if you painted your stove, I'd suggest opening the doors (very briefly but frequently) during that first heating-up cycle.
Last edited by rberq on Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 9:14 am

automotive store brake clean crc brand is great not the low voc..

no trace of lube before glue

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 9:24 am

good call PE--way more reasonably priced ;)

Joeski

Post by Joeski » Sat. Oct. 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Thank you all. I over analyze and over worry doing these kind of things because I down want to mess up.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”