Harman Magnum Stok- Hot Water Coil Update - It's HOT HOT HOT

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi guys,

Sorry, it's been so long. Baby #2 and a new job have me working 24/7.... but I do LOVE 'em all!!!

I wanted to get back to you on the hot water coil hookup. It's working like a charm. The water is HOT HOT HOT :twisted:

Thanks!!!!! This project would have been a disaster without the help of many of you on this site.

Here is the original post for those who want some of the details.
Harman Magnum Stoker - Hot Water Coil Hookup for Hot Water?

I electrically disconnected the burner in the boiler so if it starts to get a little cold upstairs and I get a call for heat, it will circulate some of the hot water that is just sitting there doing nothing :) I haven't gotten chance to test it yet b/c it's only 20 outside and my house is ~80F :D

I bought that anti-scald valve from ebay for ~$60, but I haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Here's a few pics.
IMG_14.jpg
.JPG | 652.5KB | IMG_14.jpg

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 7:29 pm

You can't see the 1" TEE I used for the aquastat well.
IMG_17.jpg
.JPG | 588.6KB | IMG_17.jpg
Here you can see the two 3/4" ball valves that can close to isolate the stove from the rest of the system. You can see the 3/4" TEE with a cap on it coming from the top line. This was where I was going to give the water a path to the expeansion tank that was not through a ball valve (to be up to code), but I decided I would rather have it so I can close the loop to the stove and drain it easily for maaintenence reasons.
IMG_15.jpg
.JPG | 660KB | IMG_15.jpg
Last edited by beatle78 on Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Tue. Dec. 04, 2007 7:31 pm

Lastly, here's a pic of the $10 relay I wired in parallel to the existing relay that controls the circulator pump for the hot water storage tank.
IMG_16.jpg
.JPG | 382KB | IMG_16.jpg

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Wed. Dec. 05, 2007 7:26 pm

Beatle,

Are you plumbing this through a hot water or other storage tank? curious. I have a coil too but havent used it yet and want to get it installed at some point. I have an oil boiler with no tank or seperate hot water tank.

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Thu. Dec. 06, 2007 8:19 pm

jimbo970 wrote:Beatle,

Are you plumbing this through a hot water or other storage tank? curious. I have a coil too but havent used it yet and want to get it installed at some point. I have an oil boiler with no tank or seperate hot water tank.
I have a hot water storage tank. My storage tank is hooked up like an extra zone on my heating system. There is an aquastat in the tank and when the temp in the tank falls below the set temp, it calls for heat.

It does NOT use a hot water coil in my boiler.

Go the the link in the 1st post above and see the post from me on "by beatle78 on Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:34 pm"

It has a drawing that is exactly how I hooked it up(plumbing wise). It doesn't show electrical hookups, but they are pretty easy if you have basic electrical skills.

I HIGHLY recommend this. My furnace hasn't come on for quite some time now. I'm saving a TON of money on oil (or lack thereof) this year! :D

Those arabs can keep their oil. My house is heated my resources of the GOOD 'OL USA!!!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”