Another Newbie Here

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
vulcan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker koker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby rear vent

Post Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 2:36 pm

I finally became a member after several months of reading and learning from this very informative site. Over the summer I purchased a new koker and have it installed and ready to go (I hope.) I also have 4 ton of rice in the basement as well. I researched about every brand of stoker and decided on the keystoker for various reasons including the direct vent which seems best for my situation at this time. I am planning on heating about 2500 sf of an old farmhouse with a basement installation and ductwork going into 3 rooms, I don't have a cold air return in place yet but plan on adding one when the weather gets colder and I decide on the location.
I just want to say thanks for all the info and I am sure I will have questions when it's time to fire it up.

JamesDeanMartin
Stove/Furnace Make: Royall
Stove/Furnace Model: Indoor Wood Boiler 6150NS

Post Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 3:30 pm

Hey I just joined today as well. I found this site a few months back after I figured I would like to burn coal. I've burned wood for years and I'm tired of dealing with it. The only good thing with wood was I was getting for free. Unfortunately coal isn't free. But I've had the opportunity to get just over 3 tons of coal this summer for about the same price I would pay for a ton here in Central Mass which is about $315.00 for a ton of bagged Nut . I'm sure once I start the boiler up for the first time I'll have a few questions as well. Good Luck!
A good friend will come bail you out,a better friend will be sitting next to you saying," that was awesome!"

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Thu. Sep. 13, 2012 3:33 pm

A Koker will put out some serious heat...the challenge (as you pointed out) will be to balance the heat via the heat runs and cold air return(s). Make sure you get a draft gauge and get the direct-vent portion adjusted properly...it is very important that the draft is correct.

vulcan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker koker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby rear vent

Post Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 9:32 am

thanks rob
I installed the unit but plan on having the dealer come out to check it and set the draft. A manometer is on my to do list for the future from what I have seen on here it is a wise choice.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Fri. Sep. 14, 2012 10:04 am

Welcome to coal burning!
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”