Keystoker or Leisure Stove?

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm torn between a leisure line pioneer or a keystoker sw90. Is one better than the other?. Is the sw90 a new model? ive only seen it listed as 90..I can get the pioneer with the coal-trol and 1/2 ton of coal for $2200 and a 2/12 hour drive to get the stove or a keystoker sw90 for $2350 with Honeywell thermostat, barometric damper, extra ash pan, a heat shield, and its local for me 15min drive. Ive seen the Leisure Econo operate but never seen the keystoker... I'm not to sure at this point. Burning coal is new to me. I used to burn wood and continue to burn pellets. Any advice is much appreciated and glad to be a new member Thanks Andrew.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 9:47 pm

I believe that the Leisure Line with the Coal Trol is a more modern and effecient coal burning appliance. The modern electronics are pretty good in making the coal burning experience with out issues. The Leisure Line stove with Coal Trol will soon have available a self ignition option.

Plus Leisure Line has proven to have exemplary customer service, and has a representative on this forum for easy access to help and advice.

Greg L

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 9:54 pm

I think you will find that both stoves are quality products. The Leisure line stove has an advantage with the coal trol as it will make it much easier to maintain a temperature in your room or house. The feeder is also much simpler to maintain and operate on the pioneer as it is controled with the coal trol and had less moving parts. The keystoker still has a pusher rod that you must manually adjust the length of the stoke of the pusher block as well as a maximum and minimum timer settings. I think you can get the coal trol as optional equipment on the keystoker as well. The mani thing you have to consider is the ability of the stove to meet clearances to combustiles and so forth . In other words which stove will meet your spacial needs better. As for me I like the leisure line stoves for the simple fact that they have great customer service and a great product

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Mon. Nov. 26, 2007 10:25 pm

Leisure Line would be my #1 choice. For the same reasons as above.

BK

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 1:19 am

Leisure Line has Jerry who knows just about everything about stoves. He can help and advice you if you're new to all this. He is a great guy to work with.

coalstoves
Location: Mt.Carmel Pa. Located on The Western Middle Anthracite Field

Post by coalstoves » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 7:21 am

Last year I spent some time visiting the different stove makers plants, I do like the leisure line the inclusion of the coal trol plus a very reliable time proven feed method (Carpet type) makes it a nice unit . I do wish they where built as hefty as the Harmans though, which isn't a criticism just an opinion .

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 7:51 am

I have both a LL Hyfire I (Older) and a newer Keystoker 90. The LL has been updated to the Coatrol and it maintains a very good setpoint, the Keystoker seems to vary 1-3 degrees with the Honeywell thermostat. On the Keystoker, the blower is either on/off vs. the variable control on the LL/Coaltrol provides to maintain a more even heat.

Both are good units, We used the Keystoker for 2+ seasons in our old house as primary heat, it worked quite well. It just wasn't big enough for our new larger house, and put in a hyfire too.

Have not had any problems with either unit so far.

If I were to get a newer updated stove, it would probably be another LL unit.

smith10210

Post by smith10210 » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 10:47 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.. I guess I'm leaning towards the Leisure than...

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Nov. 28, 2007 8:49 am

I have an older model Keystoker (about 10 years old). I find the stove to be VERY well built and very efficient. Using a Honeywell "The Round" thermostat, it will hold within a few degrees. Only issue with my stove's design is that it is very difficult to clean the upper reaches of the heat exchanger. But, the stove is fully double wall construction, so the outside of it never gets above hand warm. My exhaust gas temps hardly make it into the triple digits!

The newer Keystokers have a totally different body design, and the sides of the stove get HOT! I don't think they are as efficient, but much easier to keep clean.

The stoker mechanism itself is the same, and VERY well made. They are good stoves, and the factory is very pleasant to deal with and prompt.

Mooseman

Post by Mooseman » Thu. Nov. 29, 2007 6:10 pm

The keystoker "Koker" now has the coal-trol option

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”