???

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Rice
Other Heating: Dad's 1953 EFM Highboy

Post Wed. May. 16, 2012 7:53 am

Nice job Matt. I pulled the burner ring & grates out of my 520 stoker last night, so now I know how much fun it is. :roll:

dcrane
Verified Business Rep.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404

Post Wed. May. 16, 2012 9:08 am

hahaha, this is a historical post! love it... what a freeekin mess, I thought I put off maintenance longer then most but this dude takes the prize! yaya.... fix it all up new before I get home "checks in the mail" Mahahaha gotta give the guy credit for trying :P

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post Wed. May. 16, 2012 10:48 am

MATTHEW D. wrote:degreased the entire stoker unit,
That's the only mistake I see! <joking!> You did a great job. I'm fairly well surprised that it came back from the dead, and with relatively few parts!

Let's see.... My Dad would have joked saying: "Write the bill while you're still pissed off" and "The sign of a good mechanic is one that can rebuild <an engine> without disturbing the original dirt."

You done good! Thanks for sharing the story & pics.
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

nortcan
Stove/Furnace Make: Stuart,Peterson/ Grander
Stove/Furnace Model: Sunnyside/ Golden Bride

Post Wed. May. 16, 2012 11:24 am

Super job Matt. I know peoples restoring stoves in a much better conditions and finishing with poor results. Bravo for it :clap:

MATTHEW D.
Stove/Furnace Make: AXEMAN-ANDERSON & EFM
Stove/Furnace Model: 130 & 900 x 2

Post Wed. May. 16, 2012 6:50 pm

Maybe I should have left some grease after seeing all the water coming in. :lol: Just as I started working, it started to rain. I found a wheelbarrow (with a flat tire) laying outback, loaded in all the parts and found a dry spot to work under the deck. When I finished working on the stoker I tried getting it into the base but it was fighting me and I couldn't get it in myself. Lucky one of his tenants walked by and gave me a hand(BIG HELP). Then onto the timer...pretty simple???. by this time it was raining hard and water was dripping in everywhere. I quickly concluded that there is no perfect(DRY SPOT), so I picked a spot on the wall and started the wiring. Just as I was finishing up the owner stopped in. I pointed out the water running in on all my work. He said its looking good, let me know when you are finished. I finished up, he paid me and I was on my way!!!
Attachments
100_8611.JPG

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”