Drawbacks to Stoker Stoves?

Frackstoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Blaschak
Other Heating: New Yorker Oil Boiler

Post by Frackstoker » Mon. Dec. 24, 2012 12:03 pm

mattcoalburner wrote:I keep hearing about generators to operate our stoker stoves through power outages, you can keep a simple A.C. D.c converter and a battery handy... But anyway, I wanted to get back on topic, I installed my stoker stove and in the first year saved $3200.00 on oil. I paid $1800.00 for my stoker stove about $20.00 per month extra for electric for the six months I operated it. I used 5 ton of coal at $200.00 per ton total bill $1000.00. Total bill $2920.00 for my stove and all expenses in the first year. I keep my house about 5 degrees warmer then I did with oil, and my wife does not complain about that!. The way I see it I have a happy wife and I paid off the stove the first year plus pocketed about $300.00 Each yea after its about $2000.00 per year savings or more deending on oil cost.
What kind of battery? Where to get one? Thanks!

NuFossiler
Stoker Coal Boiler: no
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: no
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: no
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: want to get one
Hand Fed Coal Stove: want to get one
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: no
Baseburners & Antiques: ?
Coal Size/Type: ?
Other Heating: heatpump aarg, propanefireplace aarf

Post by NuFossiler » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Hello,

I am a total nube so please forgive my ignorance on the specialty of this site.
I do have enough general knowledge from being burned by winter bills for some time now by the utilities.

Totally wanting a stove seem to have settled on coal as the fuel
size of coal, type of stove etc are still not chosen.
Currently the situation is as follows:
South Central Ohio weather ---- Brrr cold
Current house has heat pump, no gas supply therefore there are propane logs in the fireplace.
The heatpump just gave up the ghost after this grueling winter even though it was only a few years old.

Wanting a stoker stove with ability to burn coal (size of coal vs dust is there a relationship).
Are stokers available for coal of various size coal?
From reading this thread the power requirements can be easily handled via a Vehicle Battery and an inverter to convert DC to AC.

The battery could be deep cycle if being used and charged a couple of days at a time or could be a simple vehicle battery.

Charge with a trickle charger so that its there for emergency. But if there is an emergency and it is near empty, then you could charge with a faster charger or perhaps a generator to get it filled up fast!

Any and all information is greatly appreciated. I just need a stove that would heat about 1250 to 1500 sq ft.

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 6:04 pm

Hello and welcome, I'm also in south central Ohio.

There are many things to learn on this site.

What town is the closest to you?

Do you want to burn hard coal? That is what all new production stoker stoves burn and its a little hard to find (around here) and its far more expensive than soft coal.

They are ugly but, a combustioneer or firetender stoker burns soft stoker coal quite well however they can only be found second or third hand. Bramhi over by Wellston sells stoker coal for $100/ton.

NuFossiler

Post by NuFossiler » Wed. Mar. 05, 2014 6:28 pm

Hey a big Hello to you.
I am in the Dayton area, and basically need to arrive at a full solution.
Either re-purpose my current propane fireplace into a coal stove insert etc but my wife would not appreciate too much intrusion into the already small family room! I do have the possibility of putting the stove in the basement in essence under the same location as the fireplace but do not know the issues involved in that as a placement option.

The key is a small unit and I was just reading of a "manual stoker" where there is a hopper and you manually load and control the burn.

This info about soft coal is new to me, I have yet to consider that but looks at that is an important thing.
Might you know of dealers in this area who sell and install stoves an d also the source for reasonably priced coal.

Thanks in advance.
Right now the heat pump repair bill is hanging over my head!

carlherrnstein
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: combustioneer model 77B
Coal Size/Type: pea stoker/Ohio bituminous

Post by carlherrnstein » Thu. Mar. 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Sense you are near dayton you might call up Champaign coal an stove company they are nere Urbana. They sell anthracite (hard) coal and stoves built to burn it. Here is a link to there website http://www.champaigncoalandstove.com/

NuFossiler

Post by NuFossiler » Fri. Mar. 07, 2014 12:00 am

Wow Carl,

You are totally awesome. I just checked the link out, I will get there some time in the next week and see what the next steps should be.
Before that I will take photos and measurements for location options as well. I hope the store also has install service. BTW I just stumbled upon the wiseway pellet stove, which is gravity fed etc etc and seems very neat and the design is nobel prize caliber from what I could tell. I hope they have one in the store for me to look at, just hope it will be usable with coal as well !

Thanks again for the link and the information.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Fri. Mar. 07, 2014 2:01 pm

[quote="NuFossiler" ] ........ I hope the store also has install service. BTW I just stumbled upon the wiseway pellet stove, which is gravity fed etc etc and seems very neat and the design is nobel prize caliber from what I could tell. I hope they have one in the store for me to look at, just hope it will be usable with coal as well ! [/quote]

If its a regular stove and you have a chimney, you can hook it up yourself.

And no a pellet stove burns pellets and a coal stove burns coal. Now a coal stove "could" burn pellets buy why ?? And before considering getting a pellet stove, you better check on the availability of them. In certain areas they are in very short supply this year.

You can also check the classifieds on here or check your local Craig's List for used units.

Rick

NuFossiler

Post by NuFossiler » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 11:01 am

Hey did not know about the section, thank you.

One question about the process on this forum.
Not showing a reply button when I go there!
So how does one contact the poster of the advertisement.
Many Thanks.

P.S. The wiseway stove seems like a neat innovation, should it not be compatible with coal of a size
similar to pellets, as its gravity fed and has two burn buckets and an ash collector.

I have a normal fireplace, it is hollow in the attic with a metal pipe going to the top!
It kind of juts out of the house on the outside and in the basement the slab and walls do the same.

So I was thinking of insert type solution, though the wiseway stove is not one and do not know if its coal
as I like the idea of coal use and the way the fire looks. I tried to respond to the person with a pic of a fire insert for sale
but ...

Thanks

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 11:08 am

Look for the little pm box,click on that & send a message to the seller.

NuFossiler

Post by NuFossiler » Sun. Mar. 09, 2014 11:13 am

Wow, I missed that, I see it now.