Did You Make the Right Decision?

gizmo
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/Pea
Other Heating: NONE

Post by gizmo » Thu. Apr. 05, 2012 8:58 pm

It is still running.Can't think of my life without it.

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Thu. Apr. 05, 2012 10:56 pm

Don't have to wear sweaters in the house, little 4 yr. old won't wear his socks, we all lounge in tee's and shorts, don't have to ask the boss for an advance on my pay check so I can buy oil,don't have to shovel snow for the oil delivery guy. The guy that sold me the used stove has a store front = job, the guy that sells me coal has 4 or 5 employees, and last but not least, my warm air furnace sucks compared to my 30 yr. old hand fed coal stove that sits proudly in front of my fireplace with my dog and the rest of my family photo's.....case closed bookem' dano.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 2:51 am

I'm saving thousands per season, have 1-2 years of coal in my coal shed, and have a comfortable home temperature. Heat my shop too. Only other thing to say is my former oil delivery truck driver burns coal! Tells you something.

plumb-r

Post by plumb-r » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 6:41 am

Doesn't matter what I think, wife says it's the best idea I've ever had. (and I thought it was marrying her.) :D Warm wife happy life! :)

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 9:26 am

No Nat Gas on the street, everybody burns oil. I saved $1500 this year alone and it was a very warm winter. Burned no oil.

Been burning coal 5 years now, koker paid for itself the 3rd year.

I just bought 4 tons at $1000 delivered and my price is now locked in for next year also.

Love Coal!!

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 12:07 pm

My wife loves the coal stove. :D

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 12:47 pm

$3,400 in oil or $1,800 for coal. It's a no brainer! :)

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 9:51 pm

.case closed bookem' dano.[/quote]

REALLY are we that old? Hawaii Five-O, I'm 53 but Dano could pick off a guy at 50 or 100 yards with his pea shooter. If we are not careful this forum will have a minimum age requirement like a retirement community :oops: Because all the youngsters are trying to figure it out, what we already know :P I would of killed for this site 30 years ago when I was burning black rocks and everyone else was burning the easy stuff "WOOD" :shock: They have come and gone "wood burners" and now they are back :!: Us older coal burners are like the train that did not set the world on fire but just kept running.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Fri. Apr. 06, 2012 11:16 pm

It's a lot of work but worth it. I save a bundle. Love coal heat too.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sat. Apr. 07, 2012 7:27 am

This is my first year burning coal. Its been quite a learning experience! I'm saving $1500 this season without using propane :) Sure there is some work in running a hand fed furnace, but so far I enjoy it. Its nice to keep our main living area between 74 and 78 degrees and not worry about a huge bill showing up in the mail. I was lucky we had an easy winter and was able to get coal as needed on my own. By late summer I'm gonna have 5 tons in the basement so I don't have to worry about that again :)

Now since I have most of the kinks worked out and a decent grip on burning, next season should go much smoother. I'm looking forward to it :)

I'd like to thank everyone here for the invaluable information on this site, its like an encyclopedia for burning coal. And some very cool people too!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Sat. Apr. 07, 2012 10:19 pm

I am bummed that I am moving to a place where I don't need coal. :( But I'll try to look on the bright side and think about the real savings in not having much need for heat at all. :) Just AC costs and then the electric rates are only about 8 cents anyway. :D Beats the hell out of our .17****/KWH up here in ME. :x

Kevin

Whiteash

Post by Whiteash » Sat. Apr. 07, 2012 11:13 pm

PLUS the one big thing is your keeping your money in the USA not to some sheik or prince who thinks I'm unclean. I buy my coal from Sherman Coal and they buy from independent miners and the money they make they buy Yengling Lager beer and I have a customer that works at the brewery who buys my maple syrup,hay and goat milk so you can say in comes in a complete circle. Buy Pa coal and drink Yungling beer. God Bless the USA.
Gary Owen :clap: :drunk: :dancing: :punk:

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Sun. Apr. 08, 2012 7:30 am

Our 1st year and it was a warm winter. Right Decision? OH YEAH!

NWBuilder
Stoker Coal Boiler: Ahs 130
Coal Size/Type: Burning Pea anthracite

Post by NWBuilder » Sun. Apr. 08, 2012 7:54 am

This is my second year burning coal and my first year with a boiler. I would have spent $3600.00 on oil to keep my house at a booming 62* instead I spent $1600.00 oncoal to keep my home at 68* with water so hot you could make tea!!! Yea I'm lovin it! Boiler and install will be paid off in about 3 years, the rest is gravy. The fact that I am keeping my fellow Americans working is another wonderful aspect of coal heat. I tell everyone who will listen,so far one convert!

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Apr. 08, 2012 8:27 am

Yes.

in 2008 when oil prices went nuts I told the wife "I am NOT going to pay five grand a year to heat this house!!" When we built this place oil was $.75 a gallon & we spent $825 a year. In 2008 the fear of $4 a gallon was looming and we made the plan. Invest now or pay increasing oil prices forever. On paper the Axeman Anderson installation and 5 years of coal would "pay for itself" in about 4years. After that we heat for half the price of oil. So far, it's working. It sure feels good to have next winters fuel on site.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”