Converting Coal Stoves to Use Without Electricity?

adirondacklady

Post by adirondacklady » Sat. Mar. 17, 2012 9:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone would know if it was possible to convert a Pioneer Back Vent that uses power vent and Col-Trol feeder system to be used without electricity? Is this even possible?
Adirondacklady

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sat. Mar. 17, 2012 10:07 pm

Batteries and an inverter, sure, but at what cost? They make darned nice hand feds that require only someone to feed them and empty ashes....all off the grid. Why try to re-invent the wheel? You don't need a Dutchcraft....or actually most cast iron stove's. Above 1200 degrees they love to crack. I know a 'generator' is a noisy option with inherent fuel storage and operational costs.......

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 3:59 am

The utility company has just installed a brandy new transmission line to the farm and now God bless them we have more power outs than ever. When I call them it's "further up the line Sir". So I bought a "New" Hitzer 50-93 for $500 and now I have the ability to heat the house without power and as whistlenut says don't try to reinvent the wheel. Unless you are very talented it won't work and will no longer be UL listed whatever you do. Stand on the shoulders of those that went before you. Translation, copy blindly what these guys tell you to do for about 5 years and then think about unique solutions. 5 years later I am still blindly copying and the Hitzer is my latest venture - well reviewed here.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 7:32 am

Stoker Stoves will not run or function without electricity. The Fire will go out after about 15-30 mins depending. You need a source of back up power, generator or batteries/inverter. The more batteries, the longer burn time.

If you do a search on Back up power for stoves, many people opt for the battery/inverter option. It charges all the time, then when the power is off, it will continues to provide power depending on your demand.

adirondacklady

Post by adirondacklady » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 7:41 am

Well, I was looking into living off the grid or maybe long term without power(such as with EMP with these solar storms). I would have all this coal but no way to burn it. Any other options to burn the coal without having to use this type of stove then?
Adirondacklady

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 7:46 am

If you want to be electric-free, I think the best thing to do is to sell your stove & remaining coal as a package deal and buy a hand fired stove. There is no practical way to make a stoker operate without electricity. If you have a friendly dealer nearby they may be willing to work out some sort of trade.

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 8:03 am

Someone who is creative should be able to adapt the falling weights and flat springs clock drive system from an old Grandfather clock to the stoker drive (or design one custom for the purpose). Let the weights fall through a slot in the floor next to your living-room stove and into your basement. Then once a day pull the weight chains to lift the weights back up and you are good to go for another 24 hours.

Before electricity, lots of stuff used falling weights, springs, and gears to generate steady (clockwork precision) power output.

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 9:28 am

Well, I was looking into living off the grid or maybe long term without power(such as with EMP with these solar storms).
A quote to remember as we go through life.

Things are always changing - the end is always near (Anon).

If you are constantly having power outages and heat is a real issue then protect yourself from outages one way or the other. If you are looking to protect your self from a nuclear EMP pulse or some such thing you will need a thousand other things besides working coal fire. Whilst you are gathering this enormous stash be careful not to be run over by a bread truck as such is the nature of life.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 11:19 am

WOW!!! This post has run aground....skidded off the road into the tullie-weeds, and flipped over, and dammit, I clonked my head on the damned weights hanging in the cellar......SOAB.....jump off the bridge, or get off the railing!!!!!!
:bop: :drunk: :alone: :poke: :eek2:

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 11:43 am

Well, perhaps the Amish might like the idea. And you have to admit that it does offer a solution to running a stoker without electricity. :idea:

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 11:46 am

lsayre wrote:Well, perhaps the Amish might like the idea.
It sounds like a pretty complicated alternative to the 5 minutes every 12 hours that a hopper-fed coal stove requires.

lsayre

Post by lsayre » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 11:52 am

Rob R. wrote:
lsayre wrote:Well, perhaps the Amish might like the idea.
It sounds like a pretty complicated alternative to the 5 minutes every 12 hours that a hopper-fed coal stove requires.
Indeed it does! And the Amish around here are all burning either wood or far lower cost bituminous coal to my knowledge, so there goes the idea of some Amishman picking up and running with my idea. Unless he is making it for the non-Amish perhaps?

coalnewbie

Post by coalnewbie » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 12:48 pm

And you have to admit that it does offer a solution to running a stoker without electricity.
Something weeds or not the idea of running a coal stove off a grandfather clock is the coolest new idea this year..... now somewhere in my basement is ......

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Hmmm, how about taking it a step further, and use this concept on a central heating boiler or furnace (one that's in the basement, Rob, not the living room :lol: ). The "weights" could be provided by a bucket elevator or wheel that brings coal from the ground level to the basement level. Heck, it could bring the ash back up on the return trip...Maybe this is the breakthrough needed to get coalnewbie serious about a stoker boiler. :roll:

Mike

adirondacklady

Post by adirondacklady » Sun. Mar. 18, 2012 2:23 pm

coalnewbie wrote:
Well, I was looking into living off the grid or maybe long term without power(such as with EMP with these solar storms).
A quote to remember as we go through life.

Things are always changing - the end is always near (Anon).

If you are constantly having power outages and heat is a real issue then protect yourself from outages one way or the other. If you are looking to protect your self from a nuclear EMP pulse or some such thing you will need a thousand other things besides working coal fire. Whilst you are gathering this enormous stash be careful not to be run over by a bread truck as such is the nature of life.
Well, the 1000 other things I already have....this was just an after thought since I spent $1000 on coal and it "might" go to waste if I couldn't find a way to use it "in case of an emergency". For those here who think I may be crazy or weird, don't condemn me for being prepared. It's not like I am storing things I'm not going to use. If you think I am crazy, then why do you wear a seatbelt? You "might" get in an accident? Why do you get immunizations? You "might" get sick? Hey, I'm just saying, I'd rather be prepared for anything than being stuck trying to figure out how I will keep my kids alive... What about you?
Enough said. Guess I will ask my questions elsewhere.
Adirondacklady

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”