Stoker Stove Supply and Demand.

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 3:37 pm

I have been trying to sell my Leisure Line Lil' Heater for a few weeks now and I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of interest. Not only do I have the stove listed here, but Craigslist as well, and tonight I will list it on eBay.

If I were selling a boiler, regardless of brand, it would sell fairly quickly, and the resale value would be very good. I'm not looking to get into a discussion about the price of my stove driving the demand. Price is not really the issue here.

As much as I like stoker stoves, the resale market is poor with low demand. This is another reason why boilers are a much better value in the long term.

Do most of you agree that boilers are the better buy, even if that means installing a water-to-air heat exchanger for those of us with forced hot-air systems?

Edit: Would another brand of stoker stove have a higher level of demand for it? For example, the Hitzer 608 or Keysoker 90?
Last edited by EarthWindandFire on Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pacowy
Stoker Coal Boiler: H.B. Smith 350 Mills boiler/EFM 85R stoker
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/anthracite

Post by Pacowy » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Mark -

I think the market for stoves varies by season more than does the market for boilers. When it starts to get cold around early November, a lot of people get serious about trying to do something about their heating situation, and getting a stove is comparatively easy. Boilers aren't quite such a quick fix, so the demand tends to be steadier over the course of a year. I think you're most likely to get a fair price for a stove in the fall, and you may need to discount it if you want to move it now; boilers aren't as seasonal.

Mike

EarthWindandFire
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Lil' Heater.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace and Kerosene Heaters.

Post by EarthWindandFire » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Mike,

That's a good point!

Boilers are something I see discussed on this board all year long, even during the hot summer months.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 3:53 pm

Outdoor temp, price of oil, what season...
All factor into how quick it will sell...
A boiler will allways be a boiler... ;)

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 4:00 pm

most stoker boilers are run 24/7/365 making them more valuable and in need more than stoves. Come fall your stove will move quickly. Most people in need of a stove most likly need their money to get thru summer time as money is tight now a days and looking for great bargins. Good luck selling,if you don't need the money real bad try to hold on till fall, unless you get the price you need.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 4:07 pm

Mark, I think you are experiencing the "seasonal" aspect of selling heating equipment. Snowblowers and snowmobiles aren't selling very well right now either.

It only takes one person to think ahead and buy your stove. Keep it advertised, and make sure you explain the benefits of anthracite and this particular stove to potential buyers.

tsb
Stoker Coal Boiler: Binford 2000
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Pioneer top vent
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Saey Hanover II
Baseburners & Antiques: Grander Golden Oak , Glenwood # 6
Coal Size/Type: All of them

Post by tsb » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 4:37 pm

Location,location,location.
Here in Pa it would sell in a heartbeat. Just not
willing to drive to CT.

ncountry
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by ncountry » Mon. Mar. 12, 2012 8:21 pm

I wish somebody would buy it. LOL .I need one of those stoves but this time of the year I am fighting my needs vs wants. I want a new tire , tune-up,and a few accessories for my motorcycle.Come fall I may have wished I bought a stove .Oh well.

stovepipemike

Post by stovepipemike » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 8:42 am

I have been watching the coal/wood stoves on ebay and cannot figure why there has been such a flood of good stoves listed lately.The economy just is not that good whereby the average guy/gal would want to give up such thrifty alternatives to the oil man.I am baffled by it. Try listing yours on a 3x5 index card at the local food store bulletin board etc,. Good Luck . Mike

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 9:35 am

Warm winter...
Cheap NG...
Never will need it again...
Short term thinking...

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Next fall, when heating oil is over $5.00 per gallon, and coal is $300/ton, even here in MA, there will be a line looking to buy coal stoves.

As mentioned above, springtime, even an early spring, is not the time to be selling winter equipment.

steamup
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman-Anderson AA-130, Keystoker K-6
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: HS Tarm 502 Wood/Coal/Oil
Coal Size/Type: pea, buck, rice

Post by steamup » Wed. Mar. 14, 2012 4:21 pm

I pretty much agree with what has been said...

Selling a stove right now is like selling a good set of snow tires. Nobody is in the mindset to buy that far ahead. Wait until mid to late summer and people will be looking harder.

Boilers are a major install. Alot more planning and financing must be considered for them. Plus they seem to have become harder find in the last year or so. I believe demand for them is up plus the price for scrap steel is up, driving the prices up.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”