Buck Not Burning Completely

ytseman3
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 (chimney)
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: electric baseboard

Post by ytseman3 » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi, so today just for the heck of it I decided to break apart some ashes and I discovered the inside was still black. I have a Keystoker 90, and the combustion fan restrictor is set at 1/2 which is factory setting. I had asked Keystoker about adjusting the plate because of burning buck instead of rice and they said normally you don't have to touch the setting to leave it at 1/2. Is this normal with burning buck, or should I open the plate a little more to see if the coal burns more completely? My draft is set at factory settings which are -.02 to -.03 on the manometer as checked in the ash door hole.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 9:50 pm

Reading Stoves recommend draft at .05 for burning buck in their stoves. May be worth trying???

ytseman3

Post by ytseman3 » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 10:07 pm

Maybe, but I also asked them if those draft settings were the same for buck as rice and they said yes.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 10:13 pm

They always say yes. Keeps the conversation shorter, plus eliminates having to actually try any suggestions they might have gotten. ;)

ytseman3

Post by ytseman3 » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 10:23 pm

Wouldn't higher draft just suck more heat up the chimney? This is my first winter with coal so I'm still learning haha.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 2:45 am

I burn Buck in my Keystoker boiler. My Kaa-2 uses the same stoker as one of the stoves. Maybe like your stove. Anyways, I have some mixed in coal in the ashes. From what I've read, it's normal. Should you smell a sulfur smell, close that fan ajustment till smell goes away.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 2:56 am

ytseman3 wrote:Wouldn't higher draft just suck more heat up the chimney? This is my first winter with coal so I'm still learning haha.
Every chimney / situation is different. The barometric damper would control chimney draft. Or, should I say draft pull on stove / boiler. If you're pushing more air than your chimney is pulling, you will smell sulfer.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:07 am

When the stoker is running at full heat, and the grate is covered with burning coal, is the last inch or two of the coal on the grate, still burning? or is it dark, not redhot, not producing heat, that is is it ash?? If it's not producing heat, it's ash.

What brand of coal is this? You might try a different coal from a different mine/breaker and see if it does the same..

Greg L

ytseman3

Post by ytseman3 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 7:37 am

LsFarm wrote:When the stoker is running at full heat, and the grate is covered with burning coal, is the last inch or two of the coal on the grate, still burning? or is it dark, not redhot, not producing heat, that is is it ash?? If it's not producing heat, it's ash.

What brand of coal is this? You might try a different coal from a different mine/breaker and see if it does the same..

Greg L
The last inch or two is ash, it's not that it's pushing red coals off the grate it just seems the coal may not be burning up completely for some reason so I thought maybe my combustion air wasn't set right. I'm using buck from Ziegenfuss in Palmerton PA. I think the driver said it comes from Hazleton. I was actually thinking of trying rice next winter to see which I liked better as this is my first winter with coal.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 8:36 am

Buy a bag or two of either rice or buck from Blaschak. See if it burns the same.
If it's not burning when it is pushed off the end of the grate, you aren't loosing any heat from the coal.. But it's possible that a different coal or size may burn differently.. All coal is not the same..

Greg L.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 8:57 am

If the stove has no problem producing enough heat for your needs, I would also try reducing the feed rate. The larger pieces of buck take longer to burn, and if you allow the coal to spend a little more time on the grate it may allow the coal to burn a little more thoroughly.

ytseman3

Post by ytseman3 » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 9:18 am

Thanks, I have reduced the feed rate two turns... ill see if that changes anything.

hotforcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Key stoker 105
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil hot water base board

Post by hotforcoal » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 9:32 am

I would try slowing the feed down with your feed adjustment turning it counter clockwise to keep the coal on the air longer if your feel your fire is not high enough you can open the air gate just a little bit keeping your eye on the draft I would not go much over the .02 or .03 I run mine at .02 I burn rice coal with touch of buck .buck requires less air than rice because of the larger size and the air passes though better are running a direct vent or a chimney if you are running a chimney then you can go bit higher with your draft .I hope this helps
Last edited by hotforcoal on Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

hotforcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Key stoker 105
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil hot water base board

Post by hotforcoal » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 10:25 am

you may find that two turns off your feed maybe a little to much .I would start with one turn with a empty ash pan so you can see if its better then work your way from there.its going to take time to get it dialed in don't be in a hurry

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 12:55 pm

My keystoker always has some unburnt coal whether using buck or rice, sometimes it rides on top or along the burn grates sides and never burns, you may always get a little bit of unburnt.

I keep my intake blower about 1/2 open (where the factory mark is set at). I keep it at .04 with Direct Vent.

Going on 6+ years with it and never had a problem.

Typcially, 4 Turns out is a good starting point for these, then adjust accordingly (1/2 turn in or out). I think I am at 5 turns out and 4 or 5 Pins on the timer every 10 mins.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”