Noise, Noise, Noise

bobapete

Post by bobapete » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 9:26 pm

Well many of you may recognize that I'm the guy that had the noisy direct vent motors on my Alaska Stoker Changing 3 model. I have resolved that issue this season with a shroud that protects the sides and top of the motor from dust. Works like a charm, the shroud has kept the motor looking as clean as it did the day I put it on. Tonight my combustion motor started making some noise so I pulled that, blew it off good, oiled it, cleaned the "tray" it bolts onto and all seems well with that. The motor is the sku4291 motor. My question for you all is this. I have been reading about how some folks have moved their motors into the basement and piped up to the stove. Obviously I cannot do this with my direct vent motor but what about the combustion and blower motors? I get so tired of the noise they make. Not loud bearing failure noises but just the general noises a motor makes while running. It sounds like a freekin airport in here as I have the stove located in my living space. Any input is appreciated as usual.
Pete

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 10:00 pm

ear plugs? :)

fish tank with a strong splashy filter?

a child studying beginer clarinet? 8-)

on a serious note... theres not to much cept acoustically insulating the area yet allow air to flow ;)

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 10:03 pm

Sell it and buy a hand fed :lol: , silence is golden

Eric

bobapete

Post by bobapete » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 10:08 pm

Eric at the risk of sounding dumb how do hand fed models work? Are there any motors involved at all? How are they vented? I agree silence IS golden.
Pete

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 10:11 pm

see the alaska kodiak, its a hand fed hopper style quiet stove yet to circulate the heat (scrub it iff the stove) there is a fan kit....

or a celing fan near it helps ... we have both and just got used to the fan as its cold outside. Quiet, but cold...

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Sat. Feb. 11, 2012 10:11 pm

bobapete wrote:Eric at the risk of sounding dumb how do hand fed models work? Are there any motors involved at all? How are they vented? I agree silence IS golden.
Pete
Sorry I reread your first post you have a direct vent. You need a chimney for a hand fed.

but no motors

Eric

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 12:40 am

This will give you double duty...get yourself some fairly dense air filter type material and some thin flexible magnets...like stuck all over your fridge door. :)
Cut the air filter material and some pieces of the magnets to your desired size and shape and hot melt glue enough magnet pieces around the outer edge to hold the filter in place over the fan inlet. The filter material I have used was like 1/2" thick and washable too.

I didn't use these, but they look promising...http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753134

Double Duty...no debris gets sucked into fan and you now have added a Noise Muffler. :D

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Sun. Feb. 12, 2012 4:58 am

Coalfire wrote:Sell it and buy a hand fed :lol: , silence is golden

Eric
You said it...

Kodiak52

Post by Kodiak52 » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 7:09 pm

I have the same noise with my Channing direct vent. I clean it out and the noise comes back about a month later. Did you purchase the shroud or did you fabricte your own?

Badog

Post by Badog » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 7:57 pm

I just put my stove in the room with the spa. If you sit in the spa with it running the spa drowns out the stove:)

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 7:59 pm

Enough from "Hand Feds" been there done that! Lets move on and be productive. Stokers have some value to some of us "older burners" :oops: Lets start conributing some real solutions, if not it would be like some wood burners chiming in every time a hand fed has trouble keeping a fire burning, BURN WOOD! Anyone can burn wood! I really think we can come up with some solutions that we all can benefit from. Here is mine :idea: I put a 2inch diameter hose like an old fashioned dryer hose over the combustion air blower supply which is helping to lower the noise of the combustion blower. Also I replaced my Keystoker combustion blower with a ball bearing one from Grainger. All have helped but I am not convinced we cannot come up with better ideas. Face it we are all trying to support each other with whatever method we choose to burn black gold :P Ok I am stepping down off my soapbox :roll:

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I

Post by WNY » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:36 pm

How about a small cover with some foam board (or some sound absorbing material) over it, make a cover or something, to help absorb the sound. Leave enough for some air flow around it.....

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 8:57 pm

WNY wrote:How about a small cover with some foam board (or some sound absorbing material) over it, make a cover or something, to help absorb the sound. Leave enough for some air flow around it.....
Now we have some real ideas, keep them coming :D

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Feb. 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Motors will be almost silent if you isolate them from vibration. As soon as you bolt the motor to something it makes noise. There has to be either rubber or spring mount like car motor mounts.

These are rubber but will give you the idea. The bolts are two pieces with rubber between. Look up isolation mounts on Google. Spring mount would be better for heat.
http://www.rubber-group.com/isolationmounts.html

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Tue. Feb. 28, 2012 5:39 pm

I've had my Channing III for a bit over 3 years now. The very first (partial) season, the convection fan would make a racket at any speed other than full-speed ahead. After I shut down for the summer, my dealer sent it back to Alaska and they replaced it with another Dayton, just like it. And just like the first one, it, too, made too much noise unless it was running full speed.

I solved the convection fan noise problem when I connected my stove to the forced-air system cold air returns in my house (stove is in the basement). What I did is find a pair of 405 CFM rotary(?) style fans the go inline into 6" ducts. All I had to do is a bit of sheet metal work to custom make an adapter bracket to go from 6" round to the roughly 3"x4" opening matching the original Dayton fan connection. Fan noise problem solved.

As of last week, now my convection fan is making a bit of racket it didn't used to make. I considered replacing that a year ago with a similar in-line fan but I'd have to first saw off the mounting bracket that's welded to the stove. I'm still considering it. I may just do it this summer, if basic cleaning/oiling or even cheapo-motor replacement doesn't do it for me.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”