Turkey Day Delema Do I Shut It Down?

JeepJunky

Post by JeepJunky » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 9:33 am

Here's the problem I have a Harman Stoker and, I'm leaving Wednesday night and I'm not going to be be back till Sunday morning. If I clean and load the stove late Wednesday it might stay lit till sometime late friday early saturday. If I turn the temp way down ~50ish it might make it till sunday. Should I just let it go till it goes out or shut it down before I leave?

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 10:36 am

have a friend or neighbor fill it.

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 11:40 am

You could always to to build a small rectangular box and mount it to the top of the hopper. Give ya an extra days worth of coal on it. Something made with 1/4 " plywood. Just a though.

JeepJunky

Post by JeepJunky » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 12:01 pm

I thought about added somthing to the hopper too. It would be easy enoght to do. But what about the extra ash? So far the ash bin is been pretty well sized to the 100 lbs hopper of coal.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 12:52 pm

The ashpan can overflow, just have your shop-vac ready when you open the ashpan door. I'd vote for turning it way down, and see if it won't idle along through the weekend. Or as suggested get someone to come in and add some coal and swap or empty the ashpan.

Greg L

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 3:03 pm

I had to leave on business for NC last year for 5 days. For the Harman in the garage I set it up to burn at the minimum burn and disconnected the Tstat. The fire was just 3/4" wide and the garage stayed at 50* F or so with outside temps ranging from 18* to 34* during the day at times.

It was still running when I got back and just for fun I let it run until it ran out. Almost 6.5 days! and the ash pan was just overflowing a little. Of course the amount of ash depends on what ash content your coal is. :D

My vote is set it up for the minimum burn load it up with coal heaped above the lid line and let er burn! :taz:

europachris

Post by europachris » Sat. Nov. 17, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm away on a short vacation with the family right now - and I had this very same conundrum. Left the house on Thursday evening, won't return until Monday night. I know for a fact that my Keystoker will burn something less than 0.5lb/hr, as I just went almost 4 days on idle for a warm spell and I could *just* fit another 40# bag in the hopper after that run.

I debated whether to fill it to the brim and let it run, but instead decided to pull the plug and just set the house thermostat at 60 degrees. The house will pretty much maintain that temp with little heat from the furnace, and since I've only run the Keystoker for about 2 weeks total so far, I'm not 100% confident to leave it alone that long. I will, however, let it idle for Turkey day, as we'll only be out of the house for 2 days.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 9:11 am

I decided to turn the propane thermsotat to 50 and the boiler thermostat off, the timer will fire it 2 minutes every hour to keep the fire burning and I don't have to worry about it running out if I stay away an extra day. I didn't want to have to ask my neighbor to worry about my stove on Thanksgiving.

JeepJunky

Post by JeepJunky » Wed. Nov. 21, 2007 11:17 am

Well I'm going to give it a go. Just before I leave I'm going to full the hopper to the tippy top and then some. I was thinking about leaving the ash pan out all together? Then turing the thermostate down to about 50 and let her run. I'll see how thing go when I get back sunday. Hope every one has a great holiday and thank you all for all your help it getting this great stove up and running.

Dennis

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Nov. 21, 2007 3:14 pm

Hey Dennis, just verify that the pilot mode is at the bare minimum to keep the fire going and you should find a lit stove with coal left when you get back. I would leave the ash bin in, it will just overflow if it gets too full, less mess to clean up when you get back. :) Although leaving it out will work too.

Thanks for the trade, I have been using the heck out of it the past couple of days. :)

Safe travels and a Happy Turkey Day to you and your family. :junmp:

JeepJunky

Post by JeepJunky » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Well I got back Sunday around noon. Couldn't wait to see how the stove did. The house was 58 which I had it set for 50 so that was good. Turned the corner and I knew something was wrong. The hopper was still the inch overfull I left it on Wednesday night, and the fire was out!! It might have helped if I turned the feed motor back on after I put the ash pan back in!! Duh!!! Live and learn. The bright side no mess to clean up and I saved some coal. Thanks for the help all.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Tue. Nov. 27, 2007 8:30 pm

I let my boiler idle and had the propane furnace heat the house for 4 days. I came back and the coal fire was still lit, it took about an hour for it to get the house from 50 to 70 once I turned the t-stat up. Idling for 4 days it used about 40 pounds of coal to maintain the minimum boiler temp, maybe less. I don't know how much LP I used, about 10 gallons probably.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”