Pioneer Convection Fan Oiling?

baddawg
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by baddawg » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Shut the stove down today to do a good cleaning. wondering if the two half moon holes in the convection fan are for oil? There is one hole at each end of the motor. I do not see any holes on the combustion fan that I can get to. going to do the powerventer today also and the book shows that pretty good. Hard to believe how dirty the fans are and if anyone likes to put cleaning off-DON'T

baddawg

Post by baddawg » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Things you learn, do not blow air into baro with the front doors open and you haven't cleaned bottom of stove yet.............more to clean :oops:

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 2:58 pm

The two half moons on either side of the motor are oil holes, while you can drip 2-3 drops in at the cover depth. I have a oil tube contraption that is put in the hole and it delivers the oil at shaft depth, no foolin around, ya know?

The combustion motor (a fasco in my pocono) also has two,one of them is inside a tiny metal box where the electrical terminals are , you need to remove all power from the stove (safety) first and then open the box up, you'll see the half moon in there.

I'm assuming that these holes are circumferentially positioned so the oil will drip in by gravity, your combustion motor in the pioneer may be different though in my poke they are easily assessible on top sop gravity can help the drop go in..

Consider vacumning the motor and half moon oil holes to remove dust before oiling.

baddawg

Post by baddawg » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks U.S. did vacuum and blow out with duster air for computer. looking good for oil and slowing down with the air compressor (and drinks).

Bob

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 3:09 pm

baddawg wrote:Things you learn, do not blow air into baro with the front doors open and you haven't cleaned bottom of stove yet.............more to clean :oops:
Wonderful thing about the LL is that you can clean the system (i do not have a powervent) in a "leisurely" 20-30 minutes, that includes brushing the entire inside to increase heat transfer. Inspect the squirrel cage fins , they acquire a film of dirt on them that can be removed by a tiny piece of steel wool. I also use a long 3' dryer vent brush (with a curve in the brush) to clean the area between the baro and stove vent located inside the stove.

baddawg

Post by baddawg » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 3:23 pm

We are so glad we went LL! Love this thing and my buddy (better get alaska) is starting to wonder also.......

Bob

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Sun. Jan. 01, 2012 4:45 pm

:D

My brother in law likes another more "pretty" though complex stoker, I told him just understand the greater complexity and with that each additional component that makes up that complexity (regardless of stove make) has a b50 (average) life to failure. :(

Ug

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”