Stove for Elderly Mother

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:11 pm

Yes, Moms situation is pretty unique in that she lives next to my sister. The real asset on that front is my brother-in-law! He is truly golden! But I'll have to sit down and talk to them all once I finish all the research on the different possibilities. Not an easy one for sure...
I'd go with my plan West Palm Beach where I sent my Mother in Law. Bought a condo for about $10K with no heating problems. N. NYS can be a hostile place in the winter. You probably want her near you in my case a 1000 miles away was too near.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:31 pm

One good thing, I don't have to worry about ash build up in the back & on the edges from all this idling. :clap: toothy

dlj
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Baseheater #6
Coal Size/Type: Stove coal
Other Heating: Oil Furnace, electric space heaters

Post by dlj » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:38 pm

freetown fred wrote:Son of a bitch :mad: at myself---dumped my friggin fire for the 1st time in 3 yrs--figured I'd just wait for chunk to burn up--I don't think so--oh yea, hoppers are good--BUT :P Anyway, old Native American trick--I've got a big ash thingy. Sooo, I took a shovel full of red ash & put them in it--then cleaned out stove---got grates freed up--10 lbs of Wally World self light- dumped red coals on top- now, shovel at a time up to top of fire bricks & then top off hopper. Won't do that again. Think your brother in law or sister would have fun with all that dlj? musta been an omen or some such nonsense. :o Still in the one match club, but, damn, I took one shower this month, looks like I'll have to do another one today. :mad3: toothy
Dude, you need a Glenwood base heater... no problems with those old babies... (Sorry, just had to throw in the jab.. LOL)

dj

dlj

Post by dlj » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:41 pm

coalnewbie wrote: I'd go with my plan West Palm Beach where I sent my Mother in Law. Bought a condo for about $10K with no heating problems. N. NYS can be a hostile place in the winter. You probably want her near you in my case a 1000 miles away was too near.
LOL I have a few of those relatives. But my mother is actually pretty amazing... Yea, we want her close by. She lived a bunch of year in Virginia, great weather down there, nice place, but too far away....

Where she lives in upstate, hostile is a mild word for her winters! It's not as bad as where the Snowman lives, but it's close...

dj

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:43 pm

I've got to put in my 2 cents here- I'll get straight to the point and refrain from comment regarding Mom's age vs. coal stove etc...

I most certainly would NOT rule out an automatic stoker stove, in fact if it must be of the "stove" variety I would not even slightly consider a hand-fed!!! With exception of the power outage issue (which is an issue, no doubt) an automatic stoker stove IS the ticket to meet your requirements... You need 24 hr 100% maintenance free operation? Without a doubt a stoker can and will easily deliver this all while maintaining a consistent if not exact indoor set temp... Small generator can handle the outages easily, not to mention will (if sized properly) accommodate more than just keeping the heat on, lights, fridge, etc.......

I am a single guy, heating 100% with 2 stoker stoves, keep the place at 75 degrees round the clock via Coal-trol control, no temp swings, easily get 24 hours between tending on both of them (Harman Mag Stoker 100# hopper heating 1600 Sf. of drafty old converted barn upstairs living space and older Alaska Stoker Stove II downstairs in the garage having a 90# hopper)... I am a truck driver and in the winter months the possibility is always there that I may not be able to make it home due to bad weather or truck issues/breakdowns etc... I have now been heating with these 2 units for 3 years with not one single issue... I tend the stoves right before leaving for work (if they even need it, going 3 days easily without any tending in this weather as it's been), top off hoppers and swap out ash pans, stoves are good for an easy 24 hour run in the dead of winter at this point and I go to work worry free, knowing I will come home to a warm place and if I were to be stuck out on the road a simple phone call to 80 year old Fred across the driveway will get it done until I can get there, he's a stoker stove operator himself at his place... Never had to make the call in like I said 3 years...

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 3:52 pm

dj, I used a parlor stove for wood for yrs. If my house lay-out wasn't so broke up, I'd probably seriously be useing one for coal. But, the Hitzer 50-93 ain't broke, so I'm not gonna fix it. Remember, the snowman has a few more healthy yrs left on him. He's probably gettin pretty close on to 90, but not quite there yet. Hell, I'm not going down to feed these horses in this torrential rain crap, maybe I'll call the neighbor kid. :clap: toothy yea right, they understand work. :( Well hell, there's the answer to all this stove stuff, hook your Mom up with that young 80 yr old pup Fred. :bang: :rofl: Sorry Murdoc1, couldn't help myself.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 4:01 pm

freetown fred wrote:Well hell, there's the answer to all this stove stuff, hook your Mom up with that young 80 yr old pup Fred.
Well, there you have it is right!!! These Old guys named Fred ain't such bad guys, but, just don't forget "the little blue pill"!!! :nana: toothy ... I said to Old Fred across the driveway one time " If you ever get it up again you better shellac it in place old fella " !!! :eek2:

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 4:25 pm

Being on a Freetown budget, I found that paper machete works just as well & the women whoops, never mind. toothy Have a good New Year my friend :)
MURDOC1 wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Well hell, there's the answer to all this stove stuff, hook your Mom up with that young 80 yr old pup Fred.
Well, there you have it is right!!! These Old guys named Fred ain't such bad guys, but, just don't forget "the little blue pill"!!! :nana: toothy ... I said to Old Fred across the driveway one time " If you ever get it up again you better shellac it in place old fella " !!! :eek2:

sebring

Post by sebring » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 4:27 pm

At that age, she should be living with one of her children. Having a place all to herself is a waste. just a thought

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 4:51 pm

Just curiosity, but a waste of what? Did you ever hear of PRIDE my young friend?

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 4:57 pm

sebring wrote:At that age, she should be living with one of her children. Having a place all to herself is a waste. just a thought
Being independent keeps people young at heart, and that is what is important. I have seen it with my own eyes, elders lose there car, then there kids stick them in a home, and in the next few months that is it. If you take all from one the ambition to live goes out the window ;)

Eric

dlj

Post by dlj » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 5:01 pm

sebring wrote:At that age, she should be living with one of her children. Having a place all to herself is a waste. just a thought
Accepting offers for you to go tell her that... We've all tried. Plus, shes got so many projects going on at any one time, you need a whole house for just her projects... This is not a frail little old lady we're talking about here. The term battleaxe comes more to mind... But age is taking it's toll and she no longer can hoist as much weight as she once could, but more than that, her balance isn't what it was. That's what worries me more...

A few years back, she was about 76 at the time, she helped me carry a generator from her barn in VA to the house. I was carrying the heavy end, but she probably was carrying 75 pounds easy on her end... she didn't even flinch. I had to take two breaks on the way... Yeap, just let me know when you've talked to her and see if you can change her mind... Good luck.. And uh, don't get yourself stuck in a corner... you might find the cane she carries has many uses...

dj

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 5:10 pm

Ok I'm convinced. Mom can handle her own now that I know she lives right across the driveway from family. Shoot--- son in law can crawl that far even with a broken leg!!!

Brick chimney

110K BTU minimum stoker stove burning rice coal. (keep mom good and warm)

later add a generator

Daughter and son in law load and carry out ashes.

Mom stays warm and rested.

Pastor Larry

dlj

Post by dlj » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 5:39 pm

MURDOC1 wrote: I most certainly would NOT rule out an automatic stoker stove, in fact if it must be of the "stove" variety I would not even slightly consider a hand-fed!!! With exception of the power outage issue (which is an issue, no doubt) an automatic stoker stove IS the ticket to meet your requirements... You need 24 hr 100% maintenance free operation? Without a doubt a stoker can and will easily deliver this all while maintaining a consistent if not exact indoor set temp... Small generator can handle the outages easily, not to mention will (if sized properly) accommodate more than just keeping the heat on, lights, fridge, etc.......

I am a single guy, heating 100% with 2 stoker stoves, keep the place at 75 degrees round the clock via Coal-trol control, no temp swings, easily get 24 hours between tending on both of them (Harman Mag Stoker 100# hopper heating 1600 Sf. of drafty old converted barn upstairs living space and older Alaska Stoker Stove II downstairs in the garage having a 90# hopper)... I am a truck driver and in the winter months the possibility is always there that I may not be able to make it home due to bad weather or truck issues/breakdowns etc... I have now been heating with these 2 units for 3 years with not one single issue... I tend the stoves right before leaving for work (if they even need it, going 3 days easily without any tending in this weather as it's been), top off hoppers and swap out ash pans, stoves are good for an easy 24 hour run in the dead of winter at this point and I go to work worry free, knowing I will come home to a warm place and if I were to be stuck out on the road a simple phone call to 80 year old Fred across the driveway will get it done until I can get there, he's a stoker stove operator himself at his place... Never had to make the call in like I said 3 years...
You're talking leisure line here? Isn't that the make that has the Coal-trol? Or are you putting that on the other stoves? I just went over to the leisure line web site and it looks pretty good. Stove would be in her living room if we do install it. So it does have to look decent. I like the looks of the stoves I see in the leisure line stoves. They also seem to be fairly well reviewed here. I'll be looking more...

dj

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Dec. 27, 2011 5:41 pm

Define "Upstate NY".

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”