L.L. Pocono Not Feeding?

alexw

Post by alexw » Mon. Nov. 12, 2007 11:12 am

I bought my pocono last winter and it worked fine. This year when I tried to fire it up it appears that the coal is
not moving down the "chute" to the combustion area - so once the stuff that I have piled on burns off - the fire
goes out?

I set the FEED time to 10 minutes in the "light it up mode" lol and after that it just burns out. I don't believe that I heard the feed motor moving at all, but can't be sure? Anything I should try before pulling off the hopper and feed mechanism?

My inlaws have moved into the home where the stoker is and would like to use it to warm the basement. We are also going to try some of the cold air return suggestions that LS Farm and other members have mentioned to "move more heat to the first floor"

Thanks

APW

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 12, 2007 11:19 am

Do you have the CoalTrol box to control it? Check your Min/Max Settings also if you do. If you have plugs on the stoker, fans, plug direct into an outlet to check to make sure there is power to the items.

Check to make sure you have power to the stoker motor? Make sure your pusher plate isn't stuck or jammed. you should be able to wiggle it from the back.

Check any necessary fuses (if any).

Check the Feed Adjustment, make sure it all the way in for max feed. Maybe it got unscrewed/adjusted the wrong way.

alexw

Post by alexw » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 7:00 am

I'm going to try moving the mech from the rear like you mentioned, and then I may remove the hooper and have a look.
I'll post back with my results

alexw

Post by alexw » Wed. Nov. 14, 2007 9:33 pm

All mechanical parts appear to be operating ok - perhaps the coal-trol isn't feeding fast enough to keep a fire once the feed period ends?? What should the min/max feed rates be set at?

WNY

Post by WNY » Thu. Nov. 15, 2007 7:02 am

Did you clean everything out good from last year? Maybe the stoker motor failed or seized up? Can you see the mechanism turning every so often and the CoalTrol is On of if you put it into the Setup/FEED = XX mode for start, does the mechanism (Stoker) move?

My Hyfire is set around 6 min and 45 max

Check to make sure the CoalTrol setup is not on a TRIBURN setting.

Make sure the combustion blower is working properly too.

The Feed adjustment (if there is one) should be turned all the way in (clockwise). I think some of the newers stoves the adjustment knob is taken off, the coaltrol maintains everything.

I would see if it is a Electrical or Mechanical problem and contact the proper person, either Leisure Line (Jerry is on here) or Neil or Paul at CoalTrol (Both on here)....

nwaelder
Verified Business Rep.

Post by nwaelder » Thu. Nov. 15, 2007 7:16 pm

You may want to try the "TEST" mode to be sure all your motors are working.

alexw

Post by alexw » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 8:47 am

Tried test mode the other day and all motors appear to be operating. The feed mechanism turns freely and
seems to be feeding - maybe just not enough. I'll try again with those feed setting later today and see what happens.
Its almost as though the coaltrol isnt calling for heat so its slowing the feed rate or something.
I know it shouldn't be this difficult - not too many things could malfunction. Check back later.

APW

WNY

Post by WNY » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 9:01 am

If the fire is going out, but the stoker is moving the coal, check your combustion fan to make sure you are getting AIR to the coals to keep them burning.

Yes, you may have to increase the MAX setting to get it to move a bit more.

Make sure the thermostat Manual (or setback) Setpoint is higher than the room temp, just move the UP arrow until you have 2-3 degrees over the setpoint and it should feed more to help satisfy the room temp.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 10:19 am

Alexw,

First, make sure all the pipes are cleaned out well. If you have a power vent make sure it is cleaned out well too. Fly ash accumulates in the venting pipes and can restrict air flow, impacting draft and the ability to keep a fire going (particularly in the lower burn rates).

From the good TEST mode results we know the motors are all working and the thermostat cable and control box are working properly.

When it is in the idle/round robin display is the combustion air motor running? If not, does the display "NOFIRE" come up during the idle/round robin set of displays? If so, you need to set the IGN setup setting to "N".

While you're in the SETUP menu, here are the defaults. Make sure they are set like this:
Time (whatever is right), DEG (F or C, your preference), MIN 6, MAX 40, TBRN N, HLF 0 (this might not be there at all depending on when you bought it), IGN N, FR (not setable, just a display of the current FR percentage).

If those are set and it still isn't working try this: Once the fire is going, go to the MIN setting and increase it to 15. Leave it on that MIN setting. A MIN of 15 should run the stoker motor for roughly 15 seconds of every 100 seconds. Make sure the stoker is coming on for those 15 seconds. If that is fine, continue to leave the MIN at 15 for 20-30 minutes, letting the fire settle down from being started. If the fire looks good then start moving that MIN setting down a couple points at a time every 30 minutes until you get to the point where you think the fire is near going out. Bump the setting back up a couple points and that should do it.

If that doesn't help, give LL ([Phone Number Removed]) or us (315-299-3589) a call and we'll try to get you up and running.

alexw

Post by alexw » Tue. Nov. 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Hi

Busy col. student, father, and pizza maker here! I appreciate your reply - I will have a chance to look at the stove over the holiday and I will try your suggestions. I have a masonry chimney with a non-power baro. draft "T" in line between the stoker and the chimney (approx. 5' run) It ran well last winter, and I've ruled out any mech. failures that I can think
of so I'm a little perplexed. I'll give these sugg. a try and post back.

Thanks agian

APW

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Nov. 21, 2007 5:41 pm

Alex, check the small holes in the grate for being plugged with either rust, ash or coal fines. When I started up a couple of stokers that had sat for a year or so, most of the holes were clogged. I used a small drill bit to open them up. Don't enlarge them, just clean out the gunk.

You should be able to feel air coming through the small holes when the combustion fan is running.

Hope this helps..
Did you change coal suppliers??

greg L

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”