Econo Convection Fan Rattling!!!

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Shibby160
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisure Line
Stove/Furnace Model: Econo

Post Wed. Dec. 14, 2011 9:44 am

I just purchased my Econo 1 Leisure Line Stove (pre-owned) and so far so good...until a few days ago. The convection fan is rattling BAD. It is very loud, it sounds like the fan is gonna fly right out of the cage!! I think it may be the motor bearings. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Are new motors costly? It looks like it would be a nightmare to get to the motor. The fan is enclosed in the hopper with rivets!!! It looks like I would have to take the hopper off all together to work on it. Any suggestions?

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post Wed. Dec. 14, 2011 10:42 am

With squirrel cage fans it's almost always a piece of coal or something similar - big noise - rectify immediately. Whilst you are in there clean up the blades of the fan - very important.
Posted by an unreasonable adult.

Shibby160

Post Wed. Dec. 14, 2011 10:49 am

How do I get in there? Do I need to remove the entire hopper? This is my first stove and I've only had it a few months.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon

Post Wed. Dec. 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Should be mounted on the back of the stove with a couple bolts. You should have to remove the hopper.

Either a piece a coal stuck in it, the mounting bolts have come loose, the actualy squirrel cage came loose off the shaft, typcially just a setscrew holds it on. Etc...

Take it off and go thru it.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

Shibby160

Post Tue. Dec. 20, 2011 8:16 am

Does anyone have a diagram or schematic of the fan/motor?? I work best when I know what I'm looking at.

StanT
Stove/Furnace Make: Leisureline
Stove/Furnace Model: econo1

Post Mon. Jan. 23, 2012 11:31 am

The stupid design has everything pop riveted together, Not a screw anywhere. You will have to take the hopper off.

Just did mine, good luck, Stan

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”