Unburned Coal in Ashes

markm4

Post by markm4 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 10:46 am

I am new to coal burning.

I am getting some unburned coal in my ashes.

Perhaps it is because it isnt that cold yet and running kind of low?

Can I adjust the min feed rate to remedy this?

I have a new LeisureLine Pocono.

Mark

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 11:01 am

It may be the coal, what type are you burning (supplier, deep mined or strip mined)?

When the stove is on minimum burn how wide is the burning coal band on the grate?

Now that I have answered your question with two questions. :lol: You can try and increase the minimum by a couple numbers and observe. Note that it takes an hour or so to really see the effect of changes so go slow. Also check the unburnt pieces and see if they break, if no that is shale and you probably have strip mined coal which has some amount. I burned Coal from Agel in Scranton last year in my Alaska and there were always what looked like unburnt pieces when I threw out the ashes.

Hope this help a little. :D

markm4

Post by markm4 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 11:17 am

Thanks for the reply, it is strip mined coal from Jeddo coal, out 80 west of Scranton. I will have to check it and see if it is shale: I think that is probably what it is. It looks like the fire burns all the way across the grate. I also got some coal from Scranton / Willks Barre, (probably Agle)but haven't burned that yet.

Mark

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 12:34 am

Moving this as Jerry form /leisure line can probably better answer your question.

As for the coal suppliers you shouldn't be having trouble with either. Don't know if they switched suppliers recently but Agle was purchasing coal from Hudson Anthracite. The quality from there is subjective and can range from adequate to outstanding . Jeddo on the other hand is considered one of the better quality products and shouldn't be a problem.

Note you will always have some unburnt or chunky ash when using a stoker, post a picture so we can better idea of what the problem is.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 2:26 pm

You will have some unburnt coal from that coal company, I burnt a fair amount of their coal last season. I would say about 5% unburnt coal, and about 15% ash.. a total of about 20% ash. The price was OK on the coal, but the quality was a bit lacking'.

This year I'm burning deep mined coal, and it has a total of 10-12% ash and zero unburnt coal. This is really good coal.

You can collect that 'unburnt' coal, and put it back on the grate and it still won't burn. It is more slate than coal.

Take care, Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 4:18 pm

LsFarm wrote:You will have some unburnt coal from that coal company, I burnt a fair amount of their coal last season. I would say about 5% unburnt coal, and about 15% ash.. a total of about 20% ash. The price was OK on the coal, but the quality was a bit lacking'.

This year I'm burning deep mined coal, and it has a total of 10-12% ash and zero unburnt coal. This is really good coal.

You can collect that 'unburnt' coal, and put it back on the grate and it still won't burn. It is more slate than coal.

Take care, Greg L

Greg the ash content with that coal Runs from 8% to 12% There are 3 different Coal mine/coal veins That they own
going to there Breaker The other 29.5 Tons Are From one Coal Mine / Coal Vein The ash content runs From 5% to 6% :D

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks for the help. We're working crazy hours at LL and I can't find time to answer.
Jer

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”