Running Channing III Without Convection Blower

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 9:24 pm

I know that the convection blower is used to move the heat away from the stove and into the room but I was wondering if it would damage the stove if I left the convection blower off even though the stove is pretty hot. I am asking because I had the stove set on a low setting about 2 and had the convection blower off and the heat from the stove seemed to move through heat through house better then when the blower is on. The temp dropped down to about 36 last night and the house seemed to stay warmer even though the blower was off, even the bedrooms upstairs seemed to warm up better. I guess what I was wondering is hot hot can the stove get before I have to turn on the convection blower on to let some of the heat out of the stove. I would think that if the stove gets too hot and I don't turn on the blower I could do some damage to the stove itself.

ckf

Post by ckf » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 9:43 pm

I don't usually turn the blower on my channing III until I'm running it at 2 1/4routers and above. The blower seems to wash away the heat with anything lower.

Pocono Pete

Post by Pocono Pete » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 10:22 pm

I guess I should have read my post a little closer, I meant to say "the heat from the stove seemed to move through the house better" and "wondering how hot can the stove get". ckf I am going to keep the blower off at the lower settings and then put if on and off at different settings to see which works best. I was surprised to see how the heat moved upstairs with the blower off, was wondering if I can leave the blower off if I have it set at 2 1/2 or higher?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 11:37 pm

I cannot recommend disabling your convection blower. I would assume your flume switch would shut the stove down in an overheat condition. If you let the convection fan run it's course your house will become happy. You may want to rase the thermostat a little to compensate for the slight draft the convection fan is producing.

CoalUserWannabe

Post by CoalUserWannabe » Mon. Nov. 21, 2011 11:55 pm

I watched a friend of mine, hook up a water heater thermostat around the collar of the exhaust pipe, and power the convection blower, it worked great for him, since at night he lowered the setting, and it was nice and quiet, but as soon as he increased the setting, and the stove heated up, the blower kicked on nicely.

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Tue. Nov. 22, 2011 9:31 pm

I strongly recommend you turn on the convection blower at all times! At issue is the tempering of the steel of the stove itself. If it gets too hot, then it loses some of its "hardness" and/or may tend to warp somewhat.

Running the stove without any airflow over it is like having a car without a radiator. It may work at idle speeds, but hotter than that, you're playing with fire...literally.

Pocono Pete

Post by Pocono Pete » Wed. Nov. 23, 2011 6:38 pm

I would think that running the stove without the convection blower on at high temps would not be good. I have the channing III set a little above 2 and once I turned the convection blower on the upstairs got a little cooler. I guess it's just the way the heat moves around the house. I'll keep trying different settings and see if I can't find a happy medium. I don't have a problem with the temps now but the wife always likes it warm so I have to get it warmer in the house. Thanks for the suggestions Pete.

wnycoalier
Stoker Coal Boiler: axeman anderson 260
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: channing III (retired)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: russo cw2 (backup)
Coal Size/Type: rice chesnut nut

Post by wnycoalier » Thu. Dec. 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm finding the same results with my new to me channing III, im curious if the previous posters have found anything similar after they tried one or the other.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”