Old Vs. New Keystoker Stoves

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 1:03 pm

I've been doing a little thinking about the design of my Keystoker vs. some of the pictures and postings of other Keystoker owners here.

If you look at the design of my stove, the top door is quite a bit lower than the newer model, the vent for the hot air is very different, and the 'guts' of the firebox appear to be significantly different.
Dsc03424sm.jpg

Heat exchanger

.JPG | 33.7KB | Dsc03424sm.jpg
IMG_0883.JPG

Newer model

.JPG | 91.9KB | IMG_0883.JPG
DSC03440.JPG

Guts of my stove

.JPG | 155.9KB | DSC03440.JPG
My stove has an angular roof area above the fire with two steel tubes about 3" diameter leading up into a flat heat exchanger area surrounded by the air from the fan. The gasses then pass across this exchanger area and down the sides of the stove and exit around the ashpan level of the stove.

Futhermore, the entire firebox assembly is wrapped with the outside shell of the stove, so between the stoker and the outside stove shell there is 4 layers of steel. I can't even begin to estimate how heavy my stove is, but 500# fully assembled is no stretch. It's a heavy PIG!

WNY Dave mentions that he sees almost 500F on the side of his stove when it's really cranking. I've yet to get mine above hand warm, yet the hot air coming from the front of the stove is HOT! My exhaust gas temps have not been above 180F or so no matter what the firing rate.

Now, while it may seem that I have a very efficient stove from a heat extraction standpoint, I also have a very efficient fly ash collector. That upper heat exchanger area on my stove was fully packed with fly ash, which between vacuuming, compressed air, and moving the stove 400 miles on it's side, knocked piles of it loose. This will be a high maintenance area and require some specialized brushes, etc. to keep it clean and efficient.

I talked to Don at Keystoker about it a little, but we did not get into any detail about it. If any of you other Keystoker owners wants to take some pics of your stove guts, I'd appreciate it. I'll show you mine if you show me yours :roll: ! I just find the design of this stove fascinating in the amout of welding and fabrication it required.

Chris

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Yes, mine is only single wall on the sides, it get's really hot! The blower only circulates from the bottom back and across the top and either out the top or front.

It was great in our other house being upstairs, it kept everything nice and warm....now in the basement, I loose much radiant heat....Ithink yours is much more efficient in capturing and distributing the heat.

I did not have a baro damper on it, and I did run it a lot hotter then the other house, and did reach 270 exhaust (that is INSIDE the pipe just before the chimney with a digital thermometer). Normal idle would be 140-170.

The LL Hyfire has only gotten to around 170 exhaust with a baro installed, and the sides are around 300 degrees (Single wall also), it is pushing over 100 degrees to the upstairs living room. I only have 1 burner (90K) going too and it's not that cold outside, yet!

Pics to follow

Attachments

fire_keystoker.jpg

Keystoker 90

.JPG | 71.9KB | fire_keystoker.jpg
fire_hyfire.jpg

LL Hyfire I

.JPG | 73.2KB | fire_hyfire.jpg

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”