Magnum Stove Temps

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 6:47 pm

So this is the first time I really started to crank my Magnum stoker.
Questions I have are:

1.)Are the flames supposed to curl over the sides of the grate and also past the top of the penta-roof and curling over at the top of the stove?(this seems to be a sick 12-16" tall flame easy :twisted: )

2.) In the state listed above the stove is 325-350and the stove pipe is 175, how does this sound?

3.) The baro damper has not opened and is set at .04(rc damper) My manometer is reading almost .04wc in the stove and .03-.035 at breach just below the baro damper, does this sound good?

It is currently 43 degrees outside.

I can still turn the lobe on the pusher another 1.5 turns!!!! :twisted:

If this is normal....then holy sh%t!!!
If this is not normal then, well, holy sh%t!!!

Any advise will be very much appreciated.

Mark

Dutchman
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: rice/anthracite

Post by Dutchman » Fri. Nov. 02, 2007 10:03 pm

I often have tall blue flames curling up to the pent-roof, with the coal bed a brilliant orange when she's a-crankin'. At idle the blaze orange dulls a little and the flame height drops to a few inches.

How much ash do you have at the end of the grate? If I see red from end-on, I turn the feed back. What's the consistency in the ashpan (powdery, crunchy, crusty clinkers, etc etc). Are you running the combustion blower always or does it cycle w/ the controller? The reason I ask is I ran mine on cycle mode last year, and I'm testing the 24/7 idea this year. Jury's out, but I think my ashes look different than before.

My mag is right now running 450+-ish but I've seen higher, sometimes on purpose :roll: ; the damper is open a bit now (low/mid 40's overnight tonight), and only really closes fully when the stove idles really low for extended times. Hasn't been cold enough here yet to get her going " :twisted: ", except in the AM. Hope this helps...

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 12:36 am

I cranked it up for like an hour when I got home from work tonight and the glow was maybe at the crest of the burn grate(few inches from, the end). I am experimenting with the combustion blower but at the time it was on fulltime.
The ash looks pretty gray and light brown with chocolate chips in it. If it would be relevent, I can upload a picture.

If you are running it at 450, what is the pipe temp at? I cant imagine what the flame would look like at 450. :twisted:

I would appreciate addtional feedback.

Mark

Highlander
Stoker Coal Boiler: Harman VF3000 Sold
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Resolute
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Highlander » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 8:37 am

If you are measuring your temperature on the top of the stove, you wll get significantly lower readings then if you monitor the front, say above the door. The mag has an insulated top, where room air blows through from the distribution blower. I put my stove thermometer on the front of the stove, just above and to the left of the door.

I saw temps from 500 to 600 when the stove was cranking, flames were curling up and over the pent roof.

Dutchman

Post by Dutchman » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 5:47 pm

my thermometer is on the right side of the stove, upper front corner. I'll move it onto the pipe tonight and check the stack temp tomorrow morning when she's running hotter.

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 8:54 pm

my thermometer is on the right side of the stove about 4" down from the top.
It sounds like my flames are much taller. Is this an issue? Do I not have enough draft causing tall lazy flames?
I was concerned about overfiring the stove but based on what I read here, the 350 deg that I am getting is not a problem.

Dutchman

Post by Dutchman » Sat. Nov. 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Thermostat kicked the stoker on while I was going around turning the clocks back, so I turned it up a bit more to get some numbers. Side temp 450, stack temp not quite 200. That's a magnetic-type right on the pipe between the stove proper and the baro damper.

If your coal bed is bright and the blue flames are dancing and rolling, you're set good I would guess. If the flames are blasting like something out of a cutting torch, might be too much. Right before the thermostat shut off, my flames were rolling easily into the peak of the pent-roof, maybe just a bit more.

More importantly, there are no flames in the oil burner downstairs! :)

I'll try to get a picture posted soon. Might need the wife to show me how the digital camera works...

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Tue. Nov. 06, 2007 11:29 pm

Pushing mine hard it will hit 600 to 650. with a flue temp of 175 to 210.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Wed. Nov. 07, 2007 8:43 am

Lime,

Where and how are you measuring your temps?

Internal/external and how far away from the stove?

BK

lime4x4

Post by lime4x4 » Fri. Nov. 16, 2007 7:35 pm

sorry for the delay. I use a magnetic thermometer on the frt of the stove top right hand side just below the air discharge. For the stove pipe I have a thermostat from a gas grill pushed into the stove pipe about 8 inches away from the barometric dampner

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”