After 2 Seasons With an Econo 1

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 7:27 pm

If I race thru red lights or race thru a crowded walmart lot, can I expect to have a collision? If I place wet coal in a sheet metal container for two years straight, can I expect rust? Let me ask my wife? She'll have the answer for me. Will be right back. :lol:

The steel mills whether USA or Far East just don't make the steel the way it was made 50 years ago. It just doesn't happen. Unless it a custom order for the US Navy at taxpayers expense.

One day working at the Sun Ship yard in Chester, ( c. 1990 ) I found some nice angle iron in a scrap pile. I helped myself to a few odd lengths. A few weeks later, I needed a short piece. Using my Mapp/Oxy cutting set up on my service truck, sliced it up. This metal cut like butter, no slag, it had no rust even though it was outside for ever and welded nicely. Compared to the angle I had bought from a supply house in the same time frame, new supply house material, not even close in quality. Moral of story...you just can't find good quality steel off the shelf unless it is custom made & ordered. It rare these days.

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Yes, Fred some people just like to bitch no matter what. It just seems to me that he did not do anything to this stove except use/ABUSE it. Hell, if you don't maintain your car or home you have problems with them as well. Dave and Matt stand by their product 100% and go out of their way to help their customers. Try calling Harman sometime let alone seeing them here on this forum. I would buy a Leisure Line stove in a heartbeat and probably will. Just have to get older and lazier to switch over to a stoker someday is all.
There is a wealth of information on here if people would only read it and pay attention. This forum was not here when I started burning coal............I really wish it had been as I learned by trial and error. I'm still learning too.............some good and some bad but, the bottom line is I tend to listen to what I'm told and willing to take advice and try new things.

Johnshan

Post by Johnshan » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 10:07 pm

freetown fred wrote:Strikes me that some people just LIKE to be P.O'd no matter how much reason is laid in front of them. :( Funny thing, haven't heard from johnshan since Wed. Maybe some of these posts made sense to him??? And YES, it's an unfortunate situation that we hopefully all learn from.
You know why you havn't heard from me? I have been working nearly round the clock in connecticut running a crew of 50 lineman trying to get everyones power back on. It is a total war zone down here. I just ate my first meal of the day (it is 10 PM now) and here I am.

The freaking hopper rusted out in 2 seasons of heating, I don't care what you did to it there shouldn't be holes through it in the timeframe.

Lots of personal messages here saying that LL is really screwing themselves on this one, whatever, I will never drop another dime on these guys again, over 15 years with an alaska stove and the thing looks new, pretty obvious which has the higher build quality.

Oh and Dave- I didn't answer you quickly? Give me a break you didn't even ask me if I left coal in it, I told you I didn't before you even asked.

It would have been cheaper for you guys to just replace this hopper...
Last edited by Johnshan on Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Johnshan

Post by Johnshan » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 10:09 pm

Brian wrote:Think something else is going on here. Just dosen't make sense. Two years??? Don't think I could have made that damage sitting in my jerky brine in that short of time. ;) ;) ;)
Super thin sheet metal and I suspect it was already rusted to begin with when it was painted at the factory.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Yea, that must be it. :doh: :eek2: toothy

SuperBeetle
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark II
Coal Size/Type: Pea, Nut, & Stove Anthracite

Post by SuperBeetle » Sat. Nov. 05, 2011 11:38 pm

I got some pm's too...............oh yeah they're supposed to be kept private so, I won't be able to tell you what they said. :nono: :no1: :secret:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Nov. 06, 2011 3:05 am

Yep, I hear ya with that war zone stuff. I line tramped for Koehler Elec. for a few yrs. My last one was in Homestead, Fla, when Andrew came through.FPL had food tents all over, my crew chief always said--EAT--a hungry man is a grumpy & careless man. Hopefully you're out of the thick of it for a while. Yea, we all get them PM things--pretty neat little item that is. Be safe my friend ;)
Johnshan wrote:
freetown fred wrote:Strikes me that some people just LIKE to be P.O'd no matter how much reason is laid in front of them. :( Funny thing, haven't heard from johnshan since Wed. Maybe some of these posts made sense to him??? And YES, it's an unfortunate situation that we hopefully all learn from.
You know why you havn't heard from me? I have been working nearly round the clock in connecticut running a crew of 50 lineman trying to get everyones power back on. It is a total war zone down here. I just ate my first meal of the day (it is 10 PM now) and here I am.

The freaking hopper rusted out in 2 seasons of heating, I don't care what you did to it there shouldn't be holes through it in the timeframe.

Lots of personal messages here saying that LL is really screwing themselves on this one, whatever, I will never drop another dime on these guys again, over 15 years with an alaska stove and the thing looks new, pretty obvious which has the higher build quality.

Oh and Dave- I didn't answer you quickly? Give me a break you didn't even ask me if I left coal in it, I told you I didn't before you even asked.

It would have been cheaper for you guys to just replace this hopper...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”