Using Traditional Chimney With Back Vent

imshearer

Post by imshearer » Mon. Oct. 31, 2011 3:55 pm

I have a LL Pioneer back vent stove and I am currently using the SWG power vent. I am replacing the motor which died after less than 3 years of use (no, I didn't use swg super lube - that's another issue)*. If this happens again I think I would consider switching to traditional metalbestos chimney if that was possible. The first question is, is this possible with back vent model? What are the pros and cons? Do I have need a vertical rise inside or could I go directly outside using the same hole in the wall. The current vent pipe has only about a 2 inch rise to the wall to get over the baseboard.

I love the heat produced by my coal stove but I hate replacing blower fans. I've already had to replace the combustion fan as well.

*If they are going to require that you use their own special oil, Field Controls or Leisure Line ought to include a bottle of it with every power vent and tack on $15 rather than make you find it somewhere online for $16 plus shipping.

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Mon. Oct. 31, 2011 4:17 pm

Yes, you can go directly out the same hole as long as the required clearance to combustibles is identified and observed while making the pass-through and using the appropriate materials to do so... I would say that it is not the most common setup by any means, but if it is what you need to do and can do it safely then have at it... In most cases the wall pass-through will be above the stove and can be advantageous in ways, such as greater flexibility to connect a different stove/appliance down the road, not to mention single wall black stove pipe is obviously far less expensive than dual wall or triple wall class-A stainless fabricated chimney... I run 2 stoves here and handle 100% of the heating with them, one is on a class-A chimney, the other on a power vent, I honestly prefer the power vent especially this time of year when daytime outside temps are just a bit high to start the one on the class-A, but the power vented stove can run without question regardless of outside temp... Class A is pricey stuff, a blower motor here and there will be far cheaper in the long run... Just my own thoughts on this...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”