Mamometer

NH Fire Dog

Post by NH Fire Dog » Wed. Oct. 19, 2011 9:06 pm

Dave / Matt

I still have not been able to take a draft reading because the baro is right up against the back wall of the stove. Is it all right to drill a hole to the left of the flue pipe looking in through the ash door in the rear wall of the stove to thread in a fitting? I just want to make sure that there is no double wall at that location, don't want to void the warranty or damage the stove in anyway. I"ve attached a picture to hopefully show where I'm talking about.

Attachments

IMG_0118.JPG
.JPG | 149.3KB | IMG_0118.JPG

NH Fire Dog

Post by NH Fire Dog » Thu. Oct. 20, 2011 7:21 pm

Ok WNY,
I guess Dave & Matt are a little busy to answer. What do you think about drilling a small hole in the back wall of my LL Hearth stove to the left of the flue? I can't get behind my stove to use a hand held mamometer with the baro mounted right up to the back of the stove, no way can I try to take a reading while the stove humming along. So I bought a Dwyer 25 and want to install it in the best place possible....I've been stressing over this since last year. The dealer just set it to .04 at the weight on the baro and said it will be fine. But of course after reading posts here, I know better.

NH Fire Dog

Post by NH Fire Dog » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 7:10 am

I decided not to drill a hole in the new stove. I was able to drill a 5/16" hole and tap a 1/8" pipe thread in the connection coming out of the stove. Had to pull the stove away from the hearth to get to the back. Mamometer is reading -.04" idle & .07" with a hot fire. I think I'm going to have to weight down the baro a little as others have done here.

Attachments

IMG_0127.JPG
.JPG | 121.9KB | IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
.JPG | 113KB | IMG_0123.JPG

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 8:00 am

Great!
YOu should set the baro at a hot fire at about . 04, it will be less at idle (.02.03). Yes, you might have to add a washer (weight) to the knob to get it to calibrate.

I had drilled a hole in the side of the Keystoker right into the firebox, since it's a power venter, since the back was double walled.

Good luck. :)

NH Fire Dog

Post by NH Fire Dog » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 8:46 am

WNY wrote:Great!
YOu should set the baro at a hot fire at about . 04, it will be less at idle (.02.03). Yes, you might have to add a washer (weight) to the knob to get it to calibrate.

I had drilled a hole in the side of the Keystoker right into the firebox, since it's a power venter, since the back was double walled.

Good luck. :)
Thank you Dave. I did add the washers this morning when the fire was hot, and the mamo dropped to .04. I will be watching it throught the day as it idles to make sure it doesn't go below .02.

Wow, what a difference this has made. The baro is now 1/2 open. A nice bluish flame, and the stove shot up to 540 F. Now I'm convinced the draft was too strong and was burning more coal than necessary.

I would of never known about this had it not been for your informative posts that I read through. Also, the 3/16" brake line and 1/8" pipe/inverted flare fitting like you suggested worked like a charm.

Thanks again Dave!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”