Thermostat ???

Frytown
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1957 Axeman Anderson 130 to FHA
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by Frytown » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Installed the Axeman 130, with a heat exchanger in the duct work to distribute the heat. Also would like to use the 90+ propane furnace as the back up. However need the blower to kick on when the circulator kicks on. Purchased a Honeywell 522ou, 3 heat 2 cool. but the secondary heat is done in stages cannot control it in the way I think it should be.

Would like to choose the furnace to use, or if one doesn't kick on the backup propane will turn on. Open to suggestions! I really like the choice so if something breaks down there is very little to do to switch between furnaces.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 8:39 pm

Why not go with a second thermostat, and keep the set room temp between the 2 far enough apart so the propane doesn't turn on unless the first one fails.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 8:44 pm

Mine is set up so if the water temp on the propane falls to 120 then it kicks on.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 9:06 pm

ValterBorges wrote:Mine is set up so if the water temp on the propane falls to 120 then it kicks on.
The propane on mine is forced hot air. Would require more info from you Valter.
The two thermostat Idea would be fine, however fishing in plaster, if you have ever done this especially in really old homes its rough going. I will stew over this idea, probably would be the simplest and cheapest way.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 9:34 pm

two thermostats? Would that cause a problem when you have the green fan wire going to both thermostats? not aware of the ramifications.

ValterBorges

Post by ValterBorges » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 9:55 pm

send me a list of questions i'll see if billy the guy who put mine in can help answer some.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 10:07 pm

I think im going to send this question over to honeywell, after all if they make the things.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Dear Honeywell,
CURRENTLY: Home is heated with Forced hot air from a propane 90+ furnace. Also has A/C.

ADDED: Installed a coal boiler forced hot water-with heat ex-changer in duct work.

I require a thermostat to do the following on heat call.
1. primary source of heat is Boiler, turns circulator on, Fan turn on.

2.IF Temperature drops too much, then Secondary heat source turns on Propane.

(3).If leaving for a period of time would like ability to put Propane set as primary.

What product do I need to do this set up? or where are the wiring directions?

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Oct. 02, 2011 10:34 pm

The two thermostat Idea would be fine, however fishing in plaster, if you have ever done this especially in really old homes its rough going
Get hold of some multi conductor wire with the number of conducters you need. Pull the thermostat and disconnect. Tie the new wire to the old wire securely, go to the other end of the old wire and pull gently. Unless the old wire is secured somewhere inside the wall or pinched somewhere you're good to go. But anything can and will go wrong with an old house, trust me, I know.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 4:48 am

Frytown wrote:two thermostats? Would that cause a problem when you have the green fan wire going to both thermostats? not aware of the ramifications.
I use 2 thermostats, the one for coal is 2 wire tied to the pump relay, and an aquastat is straped to the hot water pipe at the fancoil, when hot, it turns on the fan in the air handler.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 2:40 pm

Frytown wrote:Installed the Axeman 130, with a heat exchanger in the duct work to distribute the heat. Also would like to use the 90+ propane furnace as the back up. However need the blower to kick on when the circulator kicks on. Purchased a Honeywell 522ou, 3 heat 2 cool. but the secondary heat is done in stages cannot control it in the way I think it should be.

Would like to choose the furnace to use, or if one doesn't kick on the backup propane will turn on. Open to suggestions! I really like the choice so if something breaks down there is very little to do to switch between furnaces.
You have exactly what you wanted...wire that stat as a Heat Pump, and make the propane be the "Emergency or Auxiliary Heat"

AA 130 will be your 1st stage compressor and the stat will lock it out as soon as in Emergency Mode.

The Fan will run when required while in Emergency. :D

You are correct...don't wire anything to the 2nd stage as it just "boosts" to the 1st stage output.

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 2:56 pm

My 2 systems are not tied electrically together in any way (no back fed electric). 2 thermostats, one for heat/ a/c pump, one for coal. The coal thermostat is 2 wire, starts the circulator pump (switching relay), a strap on aquastat on the hot water pipe at the fancoil that makes the circut for the fan to start, I just keep the a/c thermostat swith to FAN ON, and not AUTO, and it only runs when the pipe is hot. THIS way I am shure the heat pump will not run unless I tell it to, and no worries of back fed line voltage. As far as running the thremostat wire, tie the new one to the old and fish it threw the walls, (unless it is stapled to the studs)

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Yup, your correct about electrical sources being mixed must be watched.

I did pull up the manual and his stat is capable of 2 separate 24 volt control transformer feeds, so he will be fine.

The furnace blower kicking on when circulator does will still need to be tackled as aa130fireman has described.

Frytown

Post by Frytown » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 3:38 pm

What tells the circulator to kick on? I now understand what the OWB's do, their circulators run 24/7 so when there is a call for heat the first stage is fan, Second Stage is(in my friends system a Heat Pump), Third Stage is the electric strip.
I must be very dense... but it shouldnt it be possible with one thermostate?, Though some experts are telling me its not a simple task, it needs to be rigged per say. I called a heating guy to tell him to figure it out for me,

I do remember this from AAfireman "I have 2 thermostats, 1 for the heat pump a/c, one for the coal. The aquastat is on the wire that goes to the squirl cage fan motor, the aquastat makes on temp rise when the bulb gets hot that is straped to the fancoil. I have a switch on the thermostat to run the fan all the time, and the aquastat on the fancoil makes and breaks so the fan only runs when the fancoil is hot. This way I did not have any electric backfeeds between the 2 systems, The HEAT alone tells the fan to start and stop.. "

AA130FIREMAN

Post by AA130FIREMAN » Mon. Oct. 03, 2011 3:47 pm

Frytown wrote:What tells the circulator to kick on?
In my case, 2 wires to the taco pump switching relay (t t). Or you can do one zone from a triple aquastats (t t) from the thermostat that are low voltage , and C1 and C2 are 120v to the pump.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”