Help Starting a Fire

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 10:53 am

Ok, a couple of weeks ago it took me 2 hrs to light off the virgin Channing to get the paint burnt off. I figured since I was a newbie at coal fires and the fact that I was lighting off WET coal the 2 hrs at getting it to go was par for the course.

My problem now is I need to get it fired up today....I just spent a 1/2 hour with a Mapp Torch and I still can't get to fire up.

WTF am I doing wrong?

cheapheat

Post by cheapheat » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:23 am

Ed have you read through the " lighting a stoker" thread at thetop of this catagory ithas everyones methods fairly clearly written out. Save the map gas for the bonfire and get yourself some lump charcoal or I prefer the coal mice personnally. pm me and I can call you and walk you through it if your desperate. Get a scrap of metal or cut up a coffee can like I did make a strip that will fit in the burn grate and hold your fire on the shelf that should be first thing. Get a nice fire going on the grate with somelump charcoal(small pieces) and newspaper or fire gel thiscan betricky since the channing doesnt have ashutoff for the combustion air I usually light the fire let it going a little then plug the stove in. Once that fire is established (hot orange coals) spread a half a soup can worth of coal on top and shut the door. Give it a couple minutes and spread some more coal on it at this point you should have a well established coal bed burning nicely..maybeadd a littlemore coal in a coupleofminutes and remove the metal strip at the end of the grate Goodluck Jim

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:27 am

Don't let it go out.. :wink: Not very helpful for lighting it but most people light it once then run it until spring or their coal supply runs out. Might not be suitable for you but it's not like wood, one of the benfits of coal is you can keep it going and control it a lot more. You can turn it way down during times you don't need much heat.

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:29 am

Thanks for the advice, and no I didn't read the top... :x for methods.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 11:35 am

The secret ingredient for starting a coal fire is patience! :)

Just take a nice long read of the thread, pick your poison and then be prepared to spend a little time getting the hang of it. All of us went through it and once we got the idea it was a piece of cake.

There are lots of methods including purchase of coal mice or fire starters. What ever you pick, just remember it takes a little time to get the hang of it. Adding coal to the top of whatever burnable material you are using is also an essential ingredient. If you lay the burning material on top of the coal it will not work.

Good luck and remember, all of us went through the same trial by fire that you are experiencing. :wink: :)

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 1:01 pm

Ed, I am new to this also and I chose to use the road flare method and it has worked great. Just as Matthaus stated make sure there is coal on the top of what ever you are using. I have actually shut my stove off several times so that I can practice building a fire in it. :lol: I tried the charcoal method first with matchlight charcoal and I did not like the smell that got into the house from it when I had the stove door open.

Ed.A

Post by Ed.A » Sun. Oct. 28, 2007 3:06 pm

Thanks everyone, I used the lump Charcoal method and I now have a ripping coal fire going with little to no toil involved.

I'm such a dolt for not reading the "Lighting" thread, In my haste and fustration I completely missed it.

Thanks again for not "Flaming" me, I really appreciated the help.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”