Oiling Coal

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 8:39 am

I'd imagine that little bit of pam would wear off almost immediteley. I can see where the water would be of concern for the smaller stokers with the hopper on the side of the stove.

I've had people in the past request dry coal, if you get I off the pile and direct the guy loadinf it to skim the top you can get moslty dry coal. they only ordered like that once though. :lol:

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 8:44 am

spc wrote:The hand fired guys are going to love this, how about spraying a little Pam veggie oil in the hopper once in a while.
Are you feeding a stoker or baking muffins? :twisted:

The stoker manufacturers should take wet coal into account and manufacture the hoppers out of stainless steel. I know this would add to the cost of the stove, but in the long run it would be worth it.

I use the sprayer method when filling my coal scuttle, every few shovel fulls I add a few sprays of water.

The Blaschak coal on the top of the pile in the bin seems very clean, even after having been in the bin and drying out, as opposed to some other coal which I got dry, a lot more dust and fines.

Hand-Fires Greetings!

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Mon. Oct. 29, 2007 1:49 pm

I bought bagged coal and it was just watered down a little bit, not dripping but not dry and no dust to really complain about. It doesn't appear to be drying out in the bags stacked in my basement. I know people that take used motor oil in coffee cans and throw it on a wood fire to stoke it up. Flames shoot into the air sometimes, sometimes it blows a puff of black smoke out the air damper, followed by a large blow-torch type flame! The more oil you use the longer the "simmer" time and the bigger the flame. Last time I visited that guy the door was off the stove so it mighta blowd off. Remember that this is in a concrete building with a 8" well casing for a stove pipe so no harm except maybe the environment. They sell waste oil furnaces so it can't be that bad to burn. :twisted:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”