Barometric Damper

annep4865

Post by annep4865 » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 2:52 pm

My boyfriend has a keystoker coal stove and when he purchased it he was told to put a barometric damper on the pipe. I have an Alaska Model 140 coal stove but I was never told about that. Is that something I should have on my pipe?

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 3:52 pm

Is your stove hooked to a chimney or direct vent system? If it is a direct vent sytem is it the Alaska vent ( which has the exauhst blower mounted at the flue exit on the stove), or a powerventer like an SWG which mount in the wall of the house? It you have it hooked into a chimney or a powerventer like a SWG type you need a barometric damper. However if you have the Alaska vent you can't use one because the flue gases are under positive pressure and that type venter the rheostat on the exhaust blower should be set with a manometer so the proper draft setting is achived.

annep4865

Post by annep4865 » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 5:08 pm

My Alaska Model 140 has a hole on the side where the stove pipe goes. I ran it up and out into a chimney.....is this right.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sat. Oct. 27, 2007 5:20 pm

Welcome Anne, you definitely need a barometric damper. When you install it set the weights per the mfgrs. direction to achieve a .04 draft.

You will need a T and the barometric damper. Installation instructions will let you know where to place it on the pipe. If you can get your hands on a draft gauge that would be the best way to verify everything is working properly after the install. :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”